Another Peeing Problem, any experience or advice please!!
My husband and I are at our wits end and not sure what to do. First off, our cat does not have a UTI. I am going to write down the issues/changes in his life in order and all the things we noticed
1. We moved to the U.S. from Germany with our cat in May. In Germany we NEVER had any problems with him peeing. His brother is just fine.
2. He went from being a strictly indoor cat to indoor/outdoor (when we are home). We have multiple litter boxes
3. We have a new 3rd cat, my cat from childhood who is 14 and lived with my mother while I was abroad, they get along fine, sleep together and clean eachother
4. We lived with my mother a few monthes, he started peeing on the bathroom rug, mainly when we were away
5. We moved from my mothers house to our house which is carpeted.
6. He started peeing in one corner in particular. We cleaned in numerous times with natures miracle and other enzyme cleaners
7. He only seems to pee in the morning or at night when he is waiting to get his food.
8. Our older cat gets a pill and has to wait 15 minutes to be fed, in this time, since we completely blocked off his favorite corner to pee, he picks other corners....always corners and sometimes waits so we can SEE what he is doing
9. Weekends are the worst because we sleep in and he gets mad (we think) that he is not getting his food when he wants but it is hard to punish a cat....I dont want him to be scared of us because I know yelling and showing him the spot is not exactly the best thing to do with a cat. (I have had cats all my life!)
10. My husband thinks it is a Power thing, he is mad that we are not doing things on his schedule and therefore punishes us by peeing...I am not sure. From what I know and have read, cats are not cleaver enough to "punish" us and know that his peeing is "punishing" us.
11. He still uses his litter box. He is very selective of where and when he pees on the carpet (we are renting so this is a HUGE problem for us......)
As I said, I feel like this is a power struggle, as if our cat is not happy with us. He really only pees at certain times but it is often enough that we sleep in or come home late from work that it is almost every other day. AHHH. any ideas? Should I start to think about hiring a cat behaviorist?