Another Peeing Problem, any experience or advice please!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Another Peeing Problem, any experience or advice please!!

Hi all,
My husband and I are at our wits end and not sure what to do. First off, our cat does not have a UTI. I am going to write down the issues/changes in his life in order and all the things we noticed

1. We moved to the U.S. from Germany with our cat in May. In Germany we NEVER had any problems with him peeing. His brother is just fine.

2. He went from being a strictly indoor cat to indoor/outdoor (when we are home). We have multiple litter boxes

3. We have a new 3rd cat, my cat from childhood who is 14 and lived with my mother while I was abroad, they get along fine, sleep together and clean eachother

4. We lived with my mother a few monthes, he started peeing on the bathroom rug, mainly when we were away

5. We moved from my mothers house to our house which is carpeted.

6. He started peeing in one corner in particular. We cleaned in numerous times with natures miracle and other enzyme cleaners

7. He only seems to pee in the morning or at night when he is waiting to get his food.

8. Our older cat gets a pill and has to wait 15 minutes to be fed, in this time, since we completely blocked off his favorite corner to pee, he picks other corners....always corners and sometimes waits so we can SEE what he is doing

9. Weekends are the worst because we sleep in and he gets mad (we think) that he is not getting his food when he wants but it is hard to punish a cat....I dont want him to be scared of us because I know yelling and showing him the spot is not exactly the best thing to do with a cat. (I have had cats all my life!)

10. My husband thinks it is a Power thing, he is mad that we are not doing things on his schedule and therefore punishes us by peeing...I am not sure. From what I know and have read, cats are not cleaver enough to "punish" us and know that his peeing is "punishing" us.

11. He still uses his litter box. He is very selective of where and when he pees on the carpet (we are renting so this is a HUGE problem for us......)

As I said, I feel like this is a power struggle, as if our cat is not happy with us. He really only pees at certain times but it is often enough that we sleep in or come home late from work that it is almost every other day. AHHH. any ideas? Should I start to think about hiring a cat behaviorist?
Thanks,
Julia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
This is a tough one! Here is a link to Dr. Jean's free library about cat behavior and health. This is the page with the litter box problems:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library

I hope this helps.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Cat Addict

I assume that when you moved you from Germany to the US, you changed the brand of cat litter you are using.

What kind did you use there and what kind do you use here? Is it the same litterbox or did you buy a new one when you moved here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

We changed litter and bought a new litterbox. In Germany we were using a clay litter. Now we use Nature's miracle which is made out of corn cobs. We want to stick with this, as we want to use a sustainable litter. The new box is similar to the old box.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
In Germany we were using a clay litter. Now we use Nature's miracle which is made out of corn cobs.
This actually could be the problem. Some cats are very particular about their litter.
I would try going back to the old stuff and see what happens. If the behavior clears up, at least you know the cause. Then you can start, SLOWLY trying other litters. Mix the new litter in with the old and slowly transition. He may also just not like the smell of the corn litter. You could try a wheat litter or pine or news paper type and see if those are more agreeable to him. I would start there anyway.
Good luck!

Victoria
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah, that's what I thought too, Nannook. A change in litter or litterboxes can cause this type of behavior. He's not mad at you and plotting revenge. It most likely that he just hates the litter.

Give it a whirl and let us know if that solves your problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
He might not like the location either. Try the suggestions, and let us know, please.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

My cats hated the Nature's Miracle litter so that could very well be your problem.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I did not mention this before but since May, we have tried every type of non clay litter there is. About a 2 monthes before we moved from Germany, we switched to a wood litter with no problem. He really did not care about the switch. This type of litter is not available here in the States so we tried many other litters, everything from Feline Pine to Yesterday's News to Sweat Scoop. We finally decided to stick with Nature's Miracle because it works great, doesn't smell too bad and is the closest to his original type of clay litter in consistancy. Perhaps this is just it as you all said, the litter switch-a-roo so often. Maybe once we really stick this litter we have now for a few monthes things will get better. As for moving the box, this is just not an option for us, as we live in a townhouse and don't have that many options. But, still, where is the link between his peeing and mornings, night and food? Also his sometimes waiting so we can see what he is doing? Since I now have about 5 stinky corners on which I have used many "Anti-cat pee" solutuions, any advice how to get the smell out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page