Help !!!! New cat urine problem! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Help !!!! New cat urine problem!

My parents have a 4 year old neutered male..... they got him from a shelter a few months ago, he's never had any problems since he's been here. They also have an older dog, the cat and dog get along fine. I am staying with them for a little while, and brought my 4 year old neutered male cat with me (who also gets along with the dog). My cat by choice stays in my room (with the extra litter box) with me 90% of the time away from the other cat and at nights he is closed in my room with me. Well, the 2 cats fight sometimes, and its not play fighting, but it only ever lasts a few seconds, then they both run away from each other. They've lived together now for 2 months, and they were both sharing the litterboxes no problem. About a week ago my parents cat peed on the floor overnight... Things were fine for a week, now my parents cat is going pee in the dogs empty food bowl.... He's done it 3 times already. He does this when my cat is locked in the room with me.... my parents are getting frustrated and i don't know what to do. any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Cool Cat

If you haven't already, get him to the vet for a checkup. Urinating outside the litter box is often a sign that a cat has urinary tract problems, like a bladder infection or crystals in the bladder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed, first thing is to check for medical issues. The stress of having another cat around could contribute to a UTI developing. On the other hand, he may be responding territorially. But doing the medical check is the first things to rule out.

Also, you need to make sure the areas he's peeing on are cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. It breaks down the urine into it's basic elements so the cat can't smell it. If you don't do that he can still smell it (even if you can't) and will think it's OK to go there again.

I'm going to move this thread to Behavior for you....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

well, i did that and nothing.... my parents cat uses the litter box except when he urinates, and when he does, he does it in the dogs bowl . i have no idea what else to try ! we cleaned out his litter box, kept my cat in my room all day and night, and he still did it.

also, my grandmother lives downstairs, and my parents cat likes going down there... when he goes down to visit her, he uses the litterbox no problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Cat Addict

What did the vet say about his urine? I'm assuming from your "and nothing" that there wasn't any bacterial. Was there any blood? What was the gravity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page