Kitten won't let me sleep in! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Kitten won't let me sleep in!

I've had my kitten, Sebastian for about 3-4 weeks now (I'm guessing he's about 8-10 weeks). I just love him. I've had cats all my life (Sebastian is my 6th) so I'm pretty well versed in kitten ubpringing but he has a few annoying habits that are driving me up the wall!

Sebastian is extremely playful and can get a little rough at times. I know this is normal kitten behavior, and I'm trying to get him to lay off the biting and scratching (I just started a 5 week rabies shot routine today -- I currently live in China and that's the norm for any animal bite). The problem is that he wakes me up at the crack of dawn every morning and it's driving me insane! As soon as the sun comes up, Sebastian starts scratching and biting any piece of exposed skin he can find.

It's hard to be consistent with discipline because I'm sleeping/groggy when it's happening! I've tried pushing him away, putting him on the floor (this seems to encourage him), wrapping myself up completely in the blanket (he finds a way in), getting up and cleaning his litter/feeding him etc. Nothing has dissuaded him -- he wants mommy up! The past few days I've been getting up as soon as it happens and locking him out of my room. This solves the biting/scratching problem but then he starts in with the yowling. I've never had such a vocal cat before. I can't sleep through it and I'm afraid my downstairs neighbors will complain. I'd rather not lock him out of the room for the entire night unless completely necessary because he wants to sleep in a little ball right next to me and it's soooo cute!

Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm praying it will get better as he becomes accustomed to my routine, because I turn into a big grump when I don't get enough sleep!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

We've pretty much all had this problem. I have to kick Cleo out every morning at about 5 a.m. because she wants to just be noisy. Mostly she scratches at the closet door because that's where Da Bird is. So out she goes. But now she scratches to get back in and talks about me. Loudly. Fortunately, I don't have neighbors. The advice you're going to get is to ignore him, that it will take time, and the more you give in, the more he'll do it. But with neighbors, it's hard. When you kick him out, can you feed him or give him a toy that will distract him and let you finish your sleep?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah, when I shut him out of my room I feed him, but it only distracts him until he realizes that I've shut the door to my bedroom. He's got some sort of separation anxiety. When I leave for work, go into the bathroom or even go into my kitchen to make breakfast he meows and meows and meows. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any toys like Da Bird in China. It's hard just finding cat food and forget litter -- it's completely impossible.

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

If that's Sebastian in your avatar, he's just adorable!

You got him at an awfully young age, which probably is adding to the problem. You'll probably get more (better) advice tomorrow. Kind of late here.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Premier Cat

Oh yea, kitten alarm clocks. What fun!
I just COMPLETELY ignored them, as hard as it was. Twitch would attack my eyelashes and Little-one would bite my nose! Sundance attacked anything he could. Nanook sucked on my ear and licked my face. All relentless! It took a while, and consistency, and many mornings of pretending to sleep while being attacked, but they all stopped. Now they will sleep until I get up, no matter how late.
I wish I had a magic solution for you but...

Victoria
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Hi I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I made a really big effort to be consistent and ignore Sebastian's cries from the other side of my door when I put him out and I'm happy to say the situation has gotten much better!

Robin and...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Yay!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM

I lived alone 15 years ago when I got Roxanne, and she'd do the same thing. Worse yet, she'd sleep all day while I was working and then want to play all night. The way I solved it was by getting Layla, so the two had each other to play with all day.

I always regret not taking two from the litter that produced Roxanne, but I thought I could only handle one at the time.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

You're right. I think having more than one cat at a time helps a lot. This is actually the first time I've ever had just one cat. The truth is, although I'm a cat lover, I didn't anticipate getting a pet when I moved to China. I won't be here forever, and of course I would never want to leave a poor animal behind.

I happened to be walking down the street one day and saw this woman selling animals; she had Sebastian in a teeny birdcage in near freezing temperatures and he was shaking. Isn't that terrible? Of course I took him and now I'm looking into the process of taking him home with me when I go back. It's actually a lot easier getting animals into the US than it is taking them out. So anyway, although I would love nothing more than to have 2 kitties, it's just not possible, really.

Robin and...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Cool Cat

at least you have hope that hes a kitten and will grow out of it. simba is 3 and for the past 6 months, every other night about, will randomly yowl in the hallway... it seems he just wants someone up. when i get up but havent opened my door yet (i cant sleep with it open, i have enough problems with sleep as it is) he stops, just from hearing me move around.

hte hard part about ignoring him is when he wakes you up, then you have to pee! the bathroom is obviously not in my room, so even if i just pee & go back to bed he still thinks hes won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page