Hyperesthesia - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hyperesthesia

I searched this site for articles about hyperesthesia, and found out some good information.
My cat, Buddy, who also has cerebellar hypoplasia, has some odd things going on. I think it might be hyperesthesia, but with just not all the same symptoms.
Besides the CH, which makes him clumsy, he walks like he's drunk, falls over alot, etc........he began biting his tail. He would look at it like it was a mortal enemy, then bite it and hiss and growl because he was hurting himself. I don't notice the twitching of his skin....occasionally, but not to extreme I don't think. He also goes into a rage where you just can't calm him down. He'll start chasing the other cats around and scare the living daylights out of them. If he catches them (which he doesn't very often because of the CH) he really does beat up on them. It's an all-out, fur flying fight. It's like he just can't help it. He will also lash out at me sometimes for no reason. A bite (doesn't break the skin)--or a scratch when he should be very relaxed. Sometimes when he is sleeping with me, I'll reach over just to pet him and he'll hiss or growl at me.
He has since been put on Prozac and is doing "somewhat" better. Does this sound like hyperesthesia to you??

It takes a very strong person to manage a feral cat colony. I'm am weakening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Anyone out there know about hyperasthesia???? Need to know.

Please respond if you know.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Cat Addict

I wish I had some advice to give. I've never even heard of this condition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Cool Cat

I learned of this disease recently when I was googling some of Greg's symptoms. I've mainly heard it called Rippling Skin Disorder. All I know about it is what I've read on on some very basic web sites. About.com has a good quick summary:

Quote:
Symptoms of Rippling Skin Disorder

* The Trademark Rippling Skin - The skin on the cat's lower back visibly ripples, accompanied by the cat's biting and scratching at his back or tail.
* Loud and Insistent Meowing - Cats afflicted with this syndrome may also meow loudly for no apparent reason, often at night.
* Strange Eye Appearance - His pupils may become dilated, and he may stare blankly into space. His eyes may appear "glassy."
* Erratic Racing - The cat will often run in circles, or race off, first in one direction, then another.
* Sensitivitiy to Touch - A cat affected with rippling skin disorder may sometimes show extreme sensitivity and discomfort with petting.
The site states that physical causes should be ruled out, such as seizures, flea allergies, etc. If no physical causes are found, it's treated as an obsessive-compulsive disorder.

But I'm sure this is all stuff you know already. It sounds like it's rare enough that no one currently on the forum has any personal experience with it. I wish I could be more helpful, and I hope you can get some answers and treatment for your kitty.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Buddy

Thanks, Jet.
Yeah, I've been reading about it. He doesn't have all the symptoms that they list, but he has alot of them. Most everything has been ruled out. It's time for his yearly checkup for his CH, though so that I can refill his Prozac. There is probably nothing else we can do for him. The Prozac seems to help him quite a bit, but lately not as much. I wonder if he has built up a tolerance to it or something......

Beth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page