i have a new cat, when and how do i let her go outside? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

i have a new cat, when and how do i let her go outside?

I got a new cat at the weekend, she is 2 and a half yrs old and just great!
She is used to going outside during the day (apparently she didn't wander far with her other owners)

I'm just wondering how long i have to keep her in for, iv read on the net it should be about 3 weeks, is that right?

Also when she starts going outside regularly do i still need a litter tray? What about when she is in at night, she would need the litter tray then wouldn't she?

Thanks in advance!!
Ria and Thyme
xxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 AM

Keep her in for as long as you feel she needs it. But at least a week. How far away from your house did she live before? Because if it was close she may try to return there.

I keep my cats in at night and they have a cat litter tray down. Actually they have it down all the time for those times they don't want to go out. Which for the oldiest is never!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks for the reply
The old owners live about a mile and a half away. She knows her name and comes to me when i call her in here, so thats a good sign i guess!
Iv only had her 4 days so way too early to go out, but she keeps meowing at the window/door and i feel so cruel lol. She is using the litter tray ok though so no worries about her going out there to do her business lol
I guess i shall just keep her in a few more weeks and then see how it goes
Thanks xxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Banned

Hi - welcome to the forum. Its good to see another fellow Brit!

In answer to your question - I think at least a month. A week is definately too soon - there is a strong possibility she will try to find her way back 'home' if you let her out too early. She should have settled into her new home in a month and know that this is where her food will be coming from now. And then perhaps supervise her initially until you feel comfortable that she is ok. Do you have a garden?

Oh - any chance of some piccies?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Shes meowing at the door again lol, bless her. She is very contented here at the moment, even with my friends that have been round, she has come up to them for a cuddle, and shes great with my 3 yr old girl lol

Watching the mice!

Naughty cat!

on my [very messy] desk!

Iv had to move the mice upstairs now, as she didn't go for them as such but was up on the shelf watching them the whole time and i didn't want to have to supervise her all the time lol
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 AM

She is very beautiful. Very slender.

You have mice? Are they male? I have a male mouse for my sins!

I keep mine on top of our tall unit out of harms way. Surprisingly enough the cats use to go 'after' the hamster more when he was alive.

I've a three year old too (and a 22 week old boy) she loves the cats but they're not overly keen on her most of the time!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

yea i have 3 mice, 2 girls in one cage and a boy in the other, they are on my bed at the moment as i need to get some shelves up there!
my 2 female mice are Ally and Podge, they are white, and my male mouse is Harry and he is black and white lol(still a little baby he is about 14 weeks old lol)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Cool Cat

id personally say dont let her outside... but it depends what sort of area you live in i suppose. i used to have a friend whos cats were good about coming home everyday... but i just get so nervous now, after having my own cats. id just hate for something to happen (car, other animal, some sort of idiot leaving something poisonous out.... yah know?)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

my garden backs on to other gardens so not too bad, shes already an outside cat so will probably have to let her out at some point.
Thanks for your reply
xxxx
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
She's so beautiful! I wish she was mine....

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page