Can she be in heat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Can she be in heat?

I have a feeling that my cat (2 years old) was not correctly spayed and is going in heat quite often. Can this be why she is peeing on my bed? She has been doing it, but then she stops for a while and then does it again. I have seen her go crazy for my male Pomeranian, following him around, rubbing against him, she pesters him! (It's very funny)
Can you give me an idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'd recommend calling the vet hospital that performed the surgery. There might be no connection between the urinating and the false heats. The urinating could be caused by an infection, a dislike for the litter, or the location of the litter box. Make sure to scoop more often, also.

I hope you get a good answer. If the spaying was recent, she would still have some hormonal activity.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Definately call the vet. If it's been a while since she's been spayed and she's still going into heat, they may have left part in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

So, you do think that might be causing the peeing in my bed?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Premier Cat

I don't think so. Inappropriate peeing is usually caused by either a health issue or a behavioral problem. If this is new behavior the first thing I would do is get her a check up at the vet since urinary tract is one of (if not the most) likely cause. Certainly the first thing to rule out.
If it's not that then I would ask myself if anything has changed in her environment. New person move in? Familiar person move out? Schedule change? Furniture rearranging? New cats hanging around outside? New kitty litter or box? Sometimes a seemingly small change in the household can upset a cat so try to think like her.
Whatever the reason, it's important to make sure you clean anywhere she has peed thoroughly with an enzymatic cleanser. See the sticky at the top titled, Things that saved my home... Once you figure out what's causing her behavior, if she still smells urine she may think it's okay to go in that spot.
Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

Victoria
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Nanook. I don't think your kitty is coming into season, however you could always speak with your vet about your concerns and I am sure they could do a test to check for hormone levels.
I think the pee-ing is un-related to coming into season, and the 'loving' all over the dog...is just normal of a cat begging for attention. My Pretty will rub all over Dusty and he can't stand her hanging all over him. He will sometimes swat her, wrestle with her or just run away to put some distance between themselves. She just wants attention.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I want to give her attention but she won't let me come near her... any tricks for that? She's always close, but I cannot even try to approach her cause she'll run. It's going to be a big, big problem trying to catch her to take her to the vet. And now she's peeing on my bed with me in it!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Premier Cat

Well, with the peeing, I think you need to rule out a medical problem, first. This will mean a vet visit.
For the attention thing...you're gonna have to become "The Good Thing Person", which means, she needs to see you as a person that good things happen around you...food, treats, toys, brushing, petting and all that. It will take time to lure her close to you for handling, but it can be done. Lure her close with canned food or treats. Make her come closer and closer to you before she can have the 'goodie'. When you begin to pet/touch her, don't reach for her head, reach for her shoulder or rump first. Eventually, she will learn that you 'feel good' when you touch/pet/scrubble her fur and she will enjoy being near you so you can 'massage' her.
It will take time and persistence. It seems like you need to treat her as a feral needing to be tamed. Not really 'tamed', but getting her used to your contact and that it is good...so she will seek you out and stop moving away from you.
Best of luck,
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page