Suddenly not using the litterbox - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Suddenly not using the litterbox

Well my kitten is about 8-9 months, he was a rescue so I dont know his exact age. I found him with his sister when he was about 4-8 weeks old. He was neutered at 5 months old. He's never missed his litter box, though the day before I got him neutered he did spray once on my chair. it was immediatly cleaned up and he hasnt since. Over the past 2.5 months I have been using a toilet seat insert and they've been doing fine. For the 7 weeks the insert has been in the toilet with absolutely no problem. My other kitten uses it 100% as does flash, the cat in question. The problem started last week. Flash suddenly stopped using the litterbox. There was no change in litter or change in food, but he started showing some 'sexual' behaviors as well, kneeding my dog as if he were getting ready to mate. He has been urinating and pooping around the toilet purposly, not missing. The other kitten still uses the insert but he suddenly refuses. He's urinated on the dog bed as well as infront of my reptile cages. All these behaviors started one week ago, and nothing has changed. It leaves me stumped, but I cant have him continue to do this. Its come down to me locking both kittens in the large bathroom when I am gone or at night.

What could cause this and what can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Premier Cat

Are you trying to teach them to 'go' in the toilet? Maybe you should just use a regular cat litterbox? Try different litters until you find one he likes...
You could always take him to the vet to rule out a medical problem.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Cat Addict

He may have suddenly realized that this toilet thing was permanant and he's not going for it.

I'd get a regular litterbox and see if that fixes your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

He has a comprehensive exam schedualed next saturday, hats the earliest that fit into my and my vets schedual. I'm going to get him de-wormed just incase thatmight be it. It'll be his 2nd de-worming since I got him but since he was found stray you can never be to careful.

I'm trying to get away from using the litter box, so I dont want to have to go back to one. Does anyone have any outher suggestions as to how to fix the problem?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Cat Addict

Are you using one of the toilet training inserts that you gradually modify so that there is no need for litter? If so, perhaps you've reached a stage where Flash needs to "catch up" in comfort level to his sister. Can you back-track the process or slow it down and see if that helps?

Or, do you have more than one bathroom, so you can set up a second insert for them? Maybe the situation would improve if they did not have to share.

Not all cats like using the toilet, unfortunately. We've looked into the toilet training idea (just haven't done anything about it yet) and I remember people having issues when they were trying to train more than one cat in a household...

- Fran
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

I cant back up a step sadly, its the seat where you cut out the holes. I only have the first hole cut out, but its been like that for the past 4 weeks, he's only had the problem the last weak. But like I said this isnt the only odd behavior he's been showing. He's occasionally kneeded my dog, but he's going a step beyond kneeding lately with him. My dog doesnt care luckily but I find it odd. My foster female, who sadly I've had longer then the kittens since no one seems to want her, is also spayed as the kittens are, but the past week he's been paying special attention to her, cleaning her and giving 'the stink look'. he's neutered though, so he really shouldnt be showing these behaviors, its obvious somethings missing when you look at his rear end because they were a different color then the rest of him lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Cat Addict

Still sounds to me like he's stressed over the litterbox. I'd try a standard box, if the behavior goes away, you know that is the problem. And you have a choice between a litterbox and using the floor as a litterbox.

If the behavior doesn't go away and you've got a bigger, potentially a heath issue, problem.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

While I'm not fully ruling out him not liking the toilet seat, I think there's something else wrong, he is acting wierd the past week. Today he just started laying in the hallway by the door and meowing at nothing. he's normally a completely silent cat, rarely purrs, never meows unless in the carrier going to the vet. I'm going to try and bump up my vet appointment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page