help! my furniture can't take it much longer! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

help! my furniture can't take it much longer!

Hi...last September I adopted a second cat (a 2 year old calico i renamed Karley (her name was Zero-a terrible name for such a beautiful cat) and ever since I got her both of my cats (the other is almost 2 year old Sunny) have been scratching at everything but the different scratch posts that I have for them. Sunny never used to scratch anything but her scratch post. I've tried everything...Repellents (smelly things) distraction, cat nip, rewarding when they do scratch the proper things, "Sticky Paws"-which they loved so was really a hindrance instead of a help-and don't know what else to do...any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Have you tried "Soft Paws"? They are rubber caps you put on your cats' claws. They work great
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 AM

You might also think about trying Feliway spray. We purchased some at Christmas time to spray in our car (since our cat came on vacation with us). One of the suggested uses is to help deter scratching - you just spray the spot once a day (they suggest for at least a month).

We've been having occasional trouble with our cat scratching the sides and back of our couches - luckily, the fabric hasn't allowed her to hook her nails into it (yet). It's hard to say whether or not using the feliway is actually working - we only use it when we see her scratch - maybe once or twice a week. Once we spray, she doesn't usually go back to scratching for a few days but maybe removing her from the spot to apply the spray is what is actually detering her?

I'd love to try a once a day routine to see if it would stop the scratching all together, but the spray is really expensive to purchase here in town ($65 at the one store that actually carries it!). We purchased online for about $20, but we've been trying not to overuse it for scratching since we purchased it for another use (ie, car rides). It's funny though, when she goes near the spot soon after I spray it, she gets a bit of a confused look on her face then usually just walks away. It must be doing something - at least she recognizes that it's there. If you can get it for a good price, you could at least try that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM

I would try the Soft Paw's also. I have two new cats that just want to rip items a part, (even my leg) so I placed the soft paws on both and have been working with them on proper areas to use. Also they are great to have in the house, I have an older cat that cooks himself infront of the wood stove and get dry skin. Well since all my cats are inside cats I place the Soft Paws on his back feet so he does not rip himself apart scratching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page