Cat rejects all other cats?? Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Cat rejects all other cats?? Help!

I'm posting this wherever I can, trying to find the best solution. So if you've seen it posted somewhere else, I humbly apologize. Here we go...

We have two cats that we raised together from about 6 or 8 weeks old. They were both strays; one, Turk, is a very affectionate, people-friendly cat and the other, Pixie, was once a feral cat. As she grew up she began to love people and she now rolls in the floor for attention and behaves like a normal cat, only she hate, hate, HATES being picked up. Pixie has been spayed and Turk is neutered.

Enter the Kitten. My parents had an adorable little black kitten on their back porch that was a stray but as sweet as she could be. Her personality reminded me terribly of the cat I had had for years growing up, so I couldn't resist picking her up and taking her home with me. Well, I didn't do any research on it, because I am ignorant of the ways of cats and it was kind of a short-notice affair. So, we did the unutterably stupid thing and tried to introduce them right away.

I know. Horrible, right? I'm aware now.

Pixie was initially okay with her, but after a few hours she began to FLIP. She would growl and hiss and run around like crazy, going so far as to bang her head on the wall as she tried to escape. So we put the kitten in a bathroom and I finally researched the business. We tried several suggestions from all over the internet, but whenever Pixie smells the kitten's scent, she goes INSANE. It's gotten to where we have to lock her in a bedroom. And the worst part is that now she goes nuts whenever she sees Turk, too.

Is there any hope for them? I was going to just take the kitten back, but now that Pixie seems to have rejected Turk as well, I'm not so sure. Turk is a very social cat, so we want him to have another cat around that doesn't hate him. I have an aunt that would love to take in Pixie, but I don't want to consider that unless there's no way to reconcile her with Turk...

By the way, this morning when I visited Pixie, she was very happy to see me and acted like her old self. That's the weird thing. One minute she'll be very happy and sociable around people, the next she'll hear or smell another cat and retreat under the bed, growling and hissing.

Any ideas?? Thanks so much for reading this stupidly long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Same here!

Hi sorry to hear of your problem.. I am experiencing the same thing.. have a look at my post...

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=46546

If I learn of any possible solutions I will let you know.

Fingers crossed for both of us!

Cheers, Neil.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 AM

I remember when I upset my house for the first time. I had Phoenix and Jin who were just over a year old they had always been the only cats until we took on Missy an 18 year old cat who had got left behind by an ex partners Mother. All **** broke loose. Jin and Phoenix acted like they had never seen each other yet they were once close. Missy was like an 18 year old hag should be, hissing, spitting etc.. It took a long time before the house resettled yet it did. We would get hissed at by the kittens like it was all our fault.

I have no great advice or cure apart from hang on in there. They will hopefully return to how it was. Jin who is still with me will now tolerate any new arrival.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Tom Cat

It’s not too late to restart the introduction process.

Give the new kitten her own room and gradually reintroduce them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page