Obsessive cat with gerbil - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Obsessive cat with gerbil

We have cat proofed the gerbilarium. Gracie now has an obsession which is taking over her life. We wake her up she goes straight to stalk the gerbil, we give her breakfast she will not leave the gerbil, we just cannot get her to leave the cage at all. This has been going on for just under a week now. She is down to just one meal a day when we physically lock her up away from the gerbil. She is completely obsessed. She sleeps on the cage as well. She seems constantly frustrated at her inability to get through the glass.

Will she get over this obsession in time? Should I move the gerbil back into the old rodent room? We have lost our cat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Cool Cat

Make it so she can't get on top. My cats have gotten over the fact that there are cute fuzzy edible animals only a half inch away from them at all times. I allow them to watch the gerbils whenever they want so long as they keep all feet off the top. If they don't respect that rule I make my warning (I make a kissy noise) and if that is ignored the cat is removed from the room for a minute. How long has the cat been allowed to have access to the tank? If it's really recent I would not worry too much but would do some things to help prevent a habit.

During meals put the cat or gerbils in a different room behind a door. Make sure you play with the cat often so she has other ways to release her energy and work her mind. perhaps you should separate her from them at night.

How is the gerbil reacting too this, you don't want him to get too freaked out, my gerbils completely ignore the cats even as they slap as the glass and leap up in front of the glass. If your gerbil gets scared I would definitely put him back in the rodent room. Give it a week and see if your girl gets over her obsession, once she figures out that she can't get to him she might give up except for the occasional need for mental stimulation or laps in judgment.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Well Gracie still has a major obsession and lives to go to the gerbil cage. The worst thing is the gerbil seems to want the cat to be there! He is a lonely old man who lost his cage mate a couple of months ago but since Gracie started visiting the gerbil seems to have a new reason for living. I was watching him earlier when Gracie was outside and the gerbil kept pushing against the glass and staring out! When Gracie is there the gerbil sits very close to wherever Gracie is. It would be cute if Gracie was not planning his painful murder!

Gracie has accepted that she cannot get on the top but she is convinced she will be able to bash and claw her way though the glass one of these days!

Right now she has just exhausted herself in yet another round of glass bashing and has flumped half way between the radiator and the gerbil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page