Prowling???? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Prowling????

Okay, so Taz was born outside and spent about the first 8 weeks of her life outside, until she got seperated from her mother, at which point we found her and took her in. Her and Squeaks have always been "quiet" cats. Until 2 days ago. She started meowing really loudly and walking up and down the hallway. Now she's not fixed, and is about 10 months old, and there has been another cat outside that I think she has seen. I'm wondering if she is "coming of age"? Or is she maybe protecting her territory? Her personality hasn't changed and she still has her appetite and thirst. So I don't think anything is wrong with her!! She just started this loud annoying meowing!!!! It does seem to me more previlant at night. What is everyone's thoughts??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, sounds like she's in heat. Better make sure to not let her get out or she will be a mama real soon. I'm betting the other cat outside is an intact male. And they become really creative about door dashing when the hormones are calling. Please plan to get her spayed asap, it will help eliminate the possibility of health issues with reproductive organs further down the road and, of course, eliminate the possibility of unplanned kittens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

We were planning on getting her fixed this month. I had a kitten that was fixed too early in life and she had all sorts of health issues. Thus the waiting so long. And she never got big.....we called her a squirrel, because she wasn't much bigger then a squirrel. She was all of about 5-6lbs and stood a whooping 10" at the shoulder. When asked why she was so small, we were told because she was fixed too early in life.

Anywho, we now to the local Humane Society to have all of our procedures done, so Taz will be there in the next 2 weeks!!!

As far as Taz goes, shes an indoor cat. She never gets to go out, and we have a double door that we have to go through to get into the house, so the chances of her getting out are slim to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

That's good about the double door, cause as I said...they get really determined. So be extra careful. Also great that she'll be going in to get spayed soon.

Not sure who told you that spaying too early stunted your cats growth, but I think it's a bunch of hooey. Plenty of kittens are spayed at very young ages these days as many shelters will not adopt them out without it being done and they grow just fine. And many females never get to be more than 5-6 lbs, sometimes they're just small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of vets now have a 2-lb. / 2 months old guideline. My little twins were spayed a few days after this picture was taken (as soon as Cali reached 2 lbs.) and they're BIG now. 7-1/2 months old and 7.5 lbs. (at least). Some kitties are just little. I wish mine would stop growing!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I have to wait 2 weeks to get her in for the "operation". Is there anything that I can do in the meantime for her? She seems miserable. All she does is lay on the floor and roll around, and cooo. I know NOT to pet her beyond the head. I just feel soooo bad for her.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

bump
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Premier Cat

There really isn't anything you can do for her, other than to simulate her being bred to induce ovulation and stop her heat cycle. Many owners find that much too 'personal' to do to their cat.

Doing this only interupts the cycle. As soon as her body realizes nothing has been fertilized, she will come back into heat.

With her appointment two weeks away, I would just leave her alone. The vet picked two weeks because it would be best for her to be at that point of her cycle for the surgery. Anything you do, will disrupt that and could cause difficlulties for the vet and your kitty.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Cat Addict

Your kittehs are so cute Marie! You must be so proud!! (Now I see why you are addicted to craiglist )

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page