Cat meeting puppy- i wanna do it right! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Cat meeting puppy- i wanna do it right!

Alright, so my boyfriend and i got a puppy. 9 weeks old, playful hyper weirdo puppy like all of them.
The puppy hasn't met my cat yet, he stays at my boyfriends house. His cat seems fine with the puppy, just.. stears clear of him, but not angry with us or anything. His cats also an old fart lol.
Starlite is 2. I tried introducing a kitten to her once, and that didn't go over very well. she basically wanted to eat it. Shes soooo sweet to people, but as far as i know, a complete you-know-what to other cats.
i love my cat very much, so i want to make the puppy-cat introduction run smooth.

Any suggestions on how i can go about this properly without starlite feeling threatened or jealous???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Cool Cat

we let nature take its course (while watching of course). it was funny seeing this little tiny kitten hiss at the 90 pound dog and the dog backed off. but it worked though!! they get along great now! (of course it did take some 'babysitting' at first)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

yeah the conly thing that i am concerned about is Starlite getting mad at me. I LOVE my cat very much, she is my one and only and she knows it. when the kitten was around, i could barely get near starlite because she was so mad at me, and beleive me, u dont want my tough girl to attack, OUCH!

so as far as anyone knows, i dont need to put them in seperate rooms or a certain period of time or? cuz i know i made a mistake in proper cat - cat introduction last time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Cat to cat introductions are very different than cat to dog. I would say you don't need to do the keep them in separate rooms, switch bedding etc. But I would do it slow...and have the puppy on a leash the first time they meet face to face.

I had a friend bring their dog (a Lhasa) over a couple years ago and didn't do anything special. Kobi was very curious and would have been friends by the next day if the dog had stayed that long. Maggie just watched from a distance, but didn't seem too bothered by it. If it had been a cat, Maggie would have freaked...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Cat Addict

When I introduced my neighbors dog (Ella) to the cats, I just let her in the house.

Kitty HATED Ella, but so long as Ella stayed away from her, she was okay. For a while there was a problem of Ella barking at Kitty. Which is weird, because Thomas was totally fine with the whole thing.

Ella kept trying to play with Tom, but he just completely ignored her. He would just lay on the floor while she ran around.

Kota seems pretty okay with Ella too, but definately more nervous than Thomas.

Tre wanted to eat her. He kept chasing Ella and she kept hiding behind me. Not sure how that would work in the long run, but I'd hope that he'd adjust eventually.

It was a trial run (Ella was only in the house for about 15 minutes). I wanted to see how they are with her because I periodically watch Ella for the neighbors and when I do, she stays at my house. I haven't watched her for a while (since before I got Tre and Kota), so I was nervous about how they'd react.

I think that as long as the cat has somewhere high to get away from the dog, it would be fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Premier Cat

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM

I have two cats and a dog (Japanese Akita) living together, I'd say a key thing to remember is that most dogs can be trained to do just about anything so as long as you pay close attention early on you can train the dog into habits that won't conflict with the cats.

For example, Akitas are pretty big and Baron likes to sit at the foot of the stairs blocking every single hall and doorway, the cats would just go to jump over him but that freaked him out and we had a few scuffles, so he got trained not to sleep in the hallway but in one of the rooms to the side through a combination of rewards or simply shutting him out of the hall if he was stubborn about it.

I think most cats are prepared to give another animal in the house a chance as long as their lifestyle isn't affected, so make sure kitty gets all the same attention and space and access it's used to, train the dog not to harass it and things should be fine if you follow the other tips in this thread and keep a close eye on their interactions as they settle in together.

Good luck!

Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 AM

When we introduced Buck to Sheridan, I just had him on a leash with me and we did something very low key like watch a movie. We did not make a big deal about the whole thing and tried not to be tense or act like anything was going on.

Since your dog is a puppy, I highly doubt he will show any aggression to the cat. It is more likely he will want to play or chase your kitty. I would keep the puppy on a leash with you so you can stop him and teach him that's against the rules. When he is ignoring the cat, praise him and reward him for that behavior.

My dog wanted to eat Sheridan when we did the introduction and I could go into how we eventually turned him from a cat eater to a cat tolerator, but I doubt you'll need that advice with a puppy so young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page