New cat with bad spraying habit... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

New cat with bad spraying habit...

I have an 8 month old male kitty (Osker) and a couple of days ago got a second male cat that is about 2 years. Simba, the 2 yr old, has been marking EVERYTHING he encounters. At first I thought it was just because it was a new place, but he does it every time someone is petting him as well. He was only recently neutered (2 days before I adopted him). Is there any chance that he'll stop doing this? Osker doesn't mark anything. I wanted a female, because we had a similar issue with another cat I had growing up, but the adoption counselor said that bringing a female cat into a male cat's home wouldn't be good. I didn't think it would be a problem as long as it was the right female...

Any tips on how I can get him to stop marking the place? He's a sweetheart, and I don't want to have to take him back, but I rent, and the place is really starting to stink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

It takes a while for the testosterone to get out of their system, so yes, it's possible that he may stop the marking behavior. It's also possible that he won't. In the meantime, if you're not already doing it, you need to clean all the spots he's sprayed with an enzymatic cleaner. This will break down the urine into it's elements so that the smell goes away. If you use something else, you may not be able to smell the urine, but he will, and will continue to spray these spots.

You need to find ALL the spots he's sprayed. Get a good black light and a pile of pennies. When it gets dark out, shut off the lights and turn on the black light. Mark anything that glows with a penny and then start cleaning. If he's sprayed the carpet or furniture (anything that absorbs), you really need to soak the area around the spot as it spreads wider as it soaks on. You need to apply enough cleaner so it soaks in further than the urine did.

Good luck, I hope he stops soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 AM

I've had several cats (2 males that lived into their mid 20's) and all have been fixed. Mine always had supervised outside time and they LOVED to spray the trees. Buddy however would pee (not spray) in the house....we always figured it was because of his 8 toes on each front foot....that he didn't like the litter in them.

As far as female goes with a male, we NEVER had any problems....in fact Tippy adopted Muffin and they were like husband and wife. Tippy was about 3 years older then Muffin and not a sibling. They ate together, slept together, played together....everything. He even gave her a daily "bath". But Muffin hated her brother Bud. Bud and Muffin NEVER got along and they were brother and sister. They would keep their distance from each other, and if either one got in the others space, there was a swat and growl. Then of course Bud would never let it go and chased her for 15 minutes around the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Here's a bit of an update...Simba wouldn't stop spraying on everything. I kept cleaning up the areas he was spraying, and even any areas that Osker might have rubbed on, and he kept spraying. He was completely separate from Osker - Osker being confined to one side of the house, Simba being confined to the bathroom. After a couple weeks of this, I decided to take him back. Osker was becoming agressive after smelling Simba on me, and that's something he never did before. I cleaned the house with the enzymatic cleaner, and ended up going to back to get a different cat. This time I got a 7 month old female, Molly. Molly was kept in my roommate's bedroom for a few days, until she ran out of the room before I could catch her. She walked up to Osker, sniffed him a bit, then they started playing. They've been almost inseparable since. Simba was adopted out a few days after I had to bring him back. I found out that he had grown up with no exposure to other cats, and had been acting that way when they tried to put him in a room with another cat at the shelter. I wish they would have told me this knowing that I had another cat, but I guess there is nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully whoever adopted him won't have any problems. I'm just happy that Osker and Molly get along so well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page