Lily won't be quiet! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Lily won't be quiet!

Errrrr...... Sorry I just need to vent. Lily is an extremely loud cat and she is driving my roommate and I crazy! This morning she started howling at 6 AM and didn't stop for three hours! She does this EVERY morning and I NEVER give in. She wants to be fed, but I refuse to let her control my schedule. I don't know what else to do, but ignore her. I have tried once or twice to lock her out of my room, but she throws her body up against the door until I get up and let her back in.

She also does this in the evening when she wants to be fed and I don't give in then either. If she is howling at me, I wait until she takes a break and then I get up and feed them. I have no idea what else I can do, but I'm going to lose it.... okay.... well maybe just be extremely frustrated and put up with it for the rest of her life.

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

You don't feed her until 9 a.m.? My cats would have a fit, too!

Have you thought of splitting her feedings into smaller meals so you could get up at 6 a.m. and give her something to eat and give her a late night meal? That's what I do with my cats.

Just a thought, I know it may not work with all cats. Divas. All of them.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Lol... I'm a college student. Some days they don't get fed till noon. On those days, I don't blame her for getting mad, but 9 am is early enough. They don't
get dinner until 8 to 10 pm. On the rare occasion that they get fed breakfast early (7 am) she will start howling at me as soon as she is done eating! Its like she forgot she already had breakfast. And then the next day she is up even earlier. I think if I got up everyday and gave her part of her breakfast, she would just start getting up earlier and earlier.

Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

You're right. Cats have no concept of time. If I take half a day off, they think just because I've arrived home, it's dinner time. On the weekends, I'll get up and feed them and go back to bed. When I get up again, they think it's time to be fed again.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Lily won't be quiet!

I am having the same issue with Tiger, he howls right around 6:00 am and then at night around 6:30 pm.
I don't know what to do either, sorry!

Maria
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3babies
think if I got up everyday and gave her part of her breakfast, she would just start getting up earlier and earlier.
Yep! I tried that and now Tiger starts howling at 6:00 am (used to be 7:00 am)

Maria
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:24 PM

Can you make sure there is some food left in the bowl before you go to bed? That way kitty can get up at 5am and have a snack and all is good - that's what I do with mine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM

OMG, I am going through the same thing, Ziggy starts singing at 4:45 and if I am not up at 5am (My normal get up time) the other cats chime in. Not a one of these cats can hold a note so picture 6 bad singer at 5 am. I have gotten in the habit of making sure when I go to bed at night to put out 1 cup for food and I even it out for the six bowls and this at times keeps them at bay for till 5:30 and I can sleep in.
Good Luck
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Premier Cat

I would try giving a feeding right before you go to bed.
Mine don't get breakfast until 9 or 10...or when i get up but they always get a snack right before I go to bed. They never wake me up.
Another question though. How old is your kitty? If she's still a baby that would also explain a lot. If she's under 9 or so months, I'd still be free feeding her. They need a ton of food and often so it would be understandable that she couldn't make it through the night.

Victoria
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I can't leave food in her bowl at night because they only eat wet food and I meal feed them. But thanks for the suggestions.

I typically do feed them right before I go to bed (between 9 and 10) and even if I feed them later, she is still up at the crack of dawn. Lily is almost 2, but she sure acts like a starving kitten....

I was really thinking about this today and the only conclusion I can come to is that she is frustrated with not having a set schedule. During the week she gets breakfast anywhere from 6 am to noon and dinner anytime from 6 pm to 11pm. I feel bad for her sometimes (not when she wakes me up at 5am) but there is nothing I can do about it right now. I am in school and have clinicals and other requirements that don't allow me to have a set schedule. Hopefully once I graduate and have a regular schedule she will feel more secure about when she will get fed. Until then I should get ear plugs.

I have tried really hard to get a video of her, but for some reason as soon as I turn on the camera she stops! I may have to sleep with the camera on.

Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page