Where in house to put new kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Where in house to put new kitten?

I have just adopted a new baby from the county animal control center. I don't have her home yet as she is getting spayed. I already have 3 older cats.
Fat Cat- 15
Tinky- 12
Tigger-6

Tigger does not get along with the female cats so I have to keep him seperated. He has his own bedroom upstairs and splits his time between the master bedroom and his room all day/night until he goes out for the night. I once changed his room around and he got very upset.

Tinky has recently taken to a guest room that used to be a junk room until 2 months ago. She hangs out there 50% of the day while spending the rest of the time downstairs.

FatCat-lives downstairs in an open area space.

I have one other bedroom left but it's my husbands office and he has copiers and loud machines in there. Little room for kitten.

I have read that when introducing a new kitten to not take anything away from the resident cats. So where should I put the kitten? I'm out of rooms other than bathrooms but that sounds a little mean to put a kitten in. I was thinking of the guest room or Tinky's room since Tinky has rather recently taken to that room. Then again, I don't want Tinky to feel displaced. What do you all think? I could do the master bathroom which is pretty large but not a very "warm" environment. Plus, Tigger will be on the other side of the door wanting to go in and drink from the shower/sink/toilet.

I want the new kitten to blend into the family so don't want to upset resident cats in the process. Any ideas short of building another room onto my house, lol? How long to keep them seperated? It's been a long time since my cats were babies so I am rusty on the whole process but looking forward to it.

The new kitten is coming from the county Animal Control facility so will be terrified I am sure. She is 9 weeks old and has basically grown up in a cage at this place, since 5-6 weeks old. It's a horrible facility, dogs barking feet away from cat cages, cats euthanized in front of one another, etc. Real **** hole. Wish I could take more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Premier Cat

I would put the new one in a quiet bathroom at first. Be sure to give the kitten a box or sleeping place where it can hide until it feels comfortable with people comeing in/out unexpectedly. Sometimes a cat carrier with a towel in it is good enough.

For play time, use Tinky's room with the door closed and Tinky out. This way, both will get used to the smells of each other and an intro can be done. I'm not sure how to get Fat-Cat involved in the process, but kittens are usually brave and adaptable. They don't get easily offended by repeated hisses directed at them.

Best of luck!
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page