Cat bully - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Cat bully

Hi

I'm new and having a couple of issues with my cats.

I have 3 cats - 2 girls who are 12 and 1 boy who is 3. The male cat has taken to bullying one of the girls but leaves the other one alone - I've tried Feliway, Rescue Remedy - you name it but he still goes for her whenever he can.

He also won't stop scratching at the bedroom door at night or jumping up to hang off the handle - so much so that I can't remember the last time we had a proper right through sleep with no disturbance We live in an apartment, so shutting them downstairs is not an option - neither is shutting him in the kitchen as this isn't fair on the other 2 who know that night time is sleepy time

any suggestions?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

How long have you had the boy? If he's a recent addition, he may be trying to assert his dominance. If you've had him for a long time, I would get the cat he's picking on a medical check-up. Cats can often sense when another is sick, way before we do. It's instinct for them to pick on the sick one.

As for his beating down the door at night, if you're not already doing so...you need to ignore him. No yelling, no getting up, totally and completely ignore him so that his antics get no response, he will eventually give up. It may take a couple weeks though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 PM

Why is it instinct for them to pick on a sick cat? And how could one prevent it. I'm not original poster but I have same issue. I am using feliway right now and it helps a bit, but not enough.

My sick cat has been having kidney failure for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

A sick cat is vulnerable to predators. Since cats live in colonies is the wild, attracting a predator to their colony is not a good thing. So the healthy cats will often gang up on the sick one so it leaves the colony to go die elsewhere, or in some cases kill it themselves.

There isn't any way to really stop it, the Feliway may help, you could try putting the aggressor on medication to chill him out. But of that doesn't work, the only real way to deal with it is to separate them.

Why do I know all this? I had the problem with Kobi when Callie had IBD/lymphoma. They were separated when I wasn't home to supervise for the last 6 months of Callie's life and then completely separated for the last 3 months. I played musical rooms with cats several times a day. I did this on the advice of a friend who is in charge of the medical treatment at the local shelter. She warned me that since Kobi was 18+ pounds and Callie was 7 pounds and still losing, that he could very well kill her.

I also want to add that the OP's issue could be a case of re-directed aggression. If the male cat and the female he's picking on were together when an issue arose with a cat outside, he could be reacting to that and not picking on the other cat because she may not have been around when the incident occurred. So if there are stray cats hanging around outside the house, that could be another possibility. If that's the case, separating them and going through a formal re-introduction process may be needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies

he's been like that with her ever since he got to full size - we've had him since he was a kitten - so basically almost 3 years!

the cat he picks on is fine - no ill health at all - all she'll do is hiss at him and run away, whereas the other girl will have a go at him

i just want her later years in life to be as stress free as possible
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

OK...I got the impression that this was a recent development. If it's been ongoing like this, it's most likely a dominance thing. Have you tried Feliway atomizers? It's like a plug-in air freshener, but contains cat pheromones that are calming.

Other possibilities would be something along the lines of kitty prozac to calm him down. Do you give him regular interactive play sessions with toys like Da Bird? Wearing his little butt out may be helpful.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

yeah we've got the Feliway plug ins

reckon I'll just have to give him more exercise - he's easily bored and distracted though - typical man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page