Adult and kitten. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Adult and kitten.

Just recently adopted a 7 month old kitten who we named Tallulah. I'm pretty familiar with the cat to cat introduction as we have an 5-6 YO male cat. Right now they are at the stage where they can see each other through the baby gates, at first the male was fairly vocal and hissed a few times, which according to articles and books, I've read is normal. Today, the male seems to not hiss anymore but did do a low meow once. They finally got close enough to at least sniff each other for a few seconds.

Anyways, my question is. Can he (adult) identify that she is a young kitten? From my understanding, it's generally easier to introduce cats to each other when one is young and one older, much like the situation I have now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

My very unscientific answer is yes. My twins get away with a lot, and this was not the case when I introduced Cleo to Cinderella, who is the original diva. Cleo was already over a year old and got no slack at all. But both Cinderella and Cleo will just sit there if the twins run over and start eating their food.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Well, typically when I think cat to kitten intro, it very young kittens...12 weeks old or so, that's the easiest. The main reason is that the kitten has no fear of the older cat...it hasn't developed any territorial instincts. It's totally oblivious to anything but playing and where the next meal is coming from.

By 7 months, a cat knows what territory is about and is very aware of surroundings, and has had time to develop fears. And will likely display some aggression to the adult. So an introduction with a 7 month old is not as easy as a 3 month old. Although, it's still easier than a full adult.

And of course it depends on the personalities of the cats involved. Even with Holly only being 11.5 weeks old, Maggie pretty much hated her for months. Can you imagine what it would be like if I brought in an adult (which I never would...because I know how Maggie is). On the other hand, Kobi was snuggling and bathing Holly by the next day.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't really sink in that the age was 7 months (how stupid is that?).

I tried introducing a kitten at that exact age and it didn't go well - the kitten was the aggressor. Even at your early stage, it's going so much better than what happened in my situation.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Well, typically when I think cat to kitten intro, it very young kittens...12 weeks old or so, that's the easiest. The main reason is that the kitten has no fear of the older cat...it hasn't developed any territorial instincts. It's totally oblivious to anything but playing and where the next meal is coming from.

By 7 months, a cat knows what territory is about and is very aware of surroundings, and has had time to develop fears. And will likely display some aggression to the adult. So an introduction with a 7 month old is not as easy as a 3 month old. Although, it's still easier than a full adult.

And of course it depends on the personalities of the cats involved. Even with Holly only being 11.5 weeks old, Maggie pretty much hated her for months. Can you imagine what it would be like if I brought in an adult (which I never would...because I know how Maggie is). On the other hand, Kobi was snuggling and bathing Holly by the next day.
Tallulah is very outgoing, she is probably the most affectionate cat I have met so far, however whenever she's in sight or looking through the gate at the male, she shows what seems like NO fear at all, she doesn't cower or flatten her ears but instead puts her tiny paws through the gate almost in a "get me out" fashion. She tried to do this with the 10 year old dog we have near her kennel, but she (dog) did the same thing when the male came in the house. Growled/snapped and warned her that no one is allowed into her "sleeping area" but anywhere else she is friendly with the kitten.

The male you can tell is very cautious. Tallulah, although I have no idea what she's thinking doesn't appear to have much experience with how things work. We do know from the sheather that she adores other cats.

@marie73,

That's good to hear because that's how I'm hoping it'll go for our cats, because I imagine he can tell she is very young and poses no "threat" to him. (she's only maybe 4 lbs? and he's a whopping 21lb large male). All I know is according to the vet she's still considered a kitten.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

I think it'll go alright. The size difference helps. My twins are almost 8 months old and almost 8 pounds! They're already taller than my two older cats. But when I got them, they were 2 lbs.

But what we really, really need are pictures!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like they'll be fine. Kittens can get away with much more than an adult, but really....personalities are the biggest aspect. And it sounds like you have a good combination.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I think it'll go alright. The size difference helps. My twins are almost 8 months old and almost 8 pounds! They're already taller than my two older cats. But when I got them, they were 2 lbs.

But what we really, really need are pictures!
The camera battery is charging

Well it's good to hear they most likely will get along, I know other members in the household want them to meet face to face without anything in front of them, but I had to keep reinforcing that it is not to happen until they both appear comfortable with each other. Thankfully they are understanding!

Tallulah is a Siamese and Calico mix, with an off white (creme-ish) color and deep blue eyes. She's a bit of a chatter? Tux (the adult male) is a very lazy mellowed out cat, but also quite confident male which the shelter found as a stray, I think it has to do with him being such a large cat. heck if I was a cat i'd be intimidated by him but the real case is he's nothing but a big goofy kitten.

Thanks for the replies, and when I have the pictures I'll be sure to post them in the appropriate section and update this thread with a link to it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidt
Tux (the adult male) is a very lazy mellowed out cat, but also quite confident male which the shelter found as a stray, I think it has to do with him being such a large cat. heck if I was a cat i'd be intimidated by him but the real case is he's nothing but a big goofy kitten.
My Kobi is a huge guy too...19lbs and not really fat. Holly should have been afraid of him but she's so outgoing, happy-go-lucky, loves everybody she meets and expects that everyone will love her that it never even occurred to her.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Ginger

I introduced a 6 months old kitten to my two 8 years old brother and sister pair and separated them during the day but let them be together when I was around. Apart from hissing at first it went well but the kitten did jump on my others a few times although at other times it was all peaceful. They were getting much better together- finding my two boys on the bed together,cuddling up and managing to have them all on the sofa without too much hassle. Now my new kitten just vanished a week ago but that's a different issue I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page