cant take it anymore - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

cant take it anymore

ok so my kitten is about 6 to 7 months old and craps all over our floor in one certain spot of our apartment, the thing is that the cat box is about 5 feet away around the corner, she will go weeks without doing it then all of a sudden it will be a daily thing for about four or five days... im getting tired of coming home from work and walking in the door and smelling cat crap!! i shampoo the carpet with my shampooer vac-thingy and sure enough that night she will do it again, we also have another cat box set up in the spare bathroom to see if that would help but it hasnt we have also tried all possible types of cat litter. When we first got her the vet said she had worms because she had the hershey squirts bad so we went through that whole deal with the de-wormer but she still has diarreah so you can imagine what that area of my apartment looks like, im honestly thinking about giving her away and let her go poop in someone elses place haha.......... but does anybody have any advice as to why she is doin this and how to prevent it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Premier Cat

Well, if she still has diarrhea it's not at all surprising that she's not making it to her box sometimes. You need to find out what's causing it.
She may have been dewormed for the basics like tapeworms but that won't take care of coccidia or giardia. They often don't show up on tests and are commonly the cause of unexplained diarrhea, I'd certainly start there. Also, what are you feeding her? It's possible that something isn't agreeing with her. Once you've dealt with the possible parasites (that would be my bet as to what's going on) then it's time to deal with her diet. Maybe start giving her some pumpkin, slippery elm, digestive enzymes and/or probiotics. But first thing, you must find out the cause of the diarrhea.
Letting the diarrhea continue can really cause serious problems with your kitty. The least of which would be poop on the floor. Sorry to be blunt but, you've got to get this sorted out. Imagine how you would feel after weeks or months of diarrhea. It's not her fault.

Victoria
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

well where can i get some medicine for that without having to go to the vet im broke, i work everyday so i dont have the time or money to go to the vet, honestly i dont really give a **** about the cat i want to get rid of it but my my roommate paid for her and wants to keep her im just lookin for solutions...... but if anybody out there that lives near Montana and wants a free kitten let me know, i will even FedEx her to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Did she get her second dose of de-worming med when she had them previously? If not, they're probably back. The first dose kills the live ones but doesn't kill eggs. The second dose is timed so that the eggs are allowed to hatch but but not old enough to reproduce.

If that's the case, getting a stool sample to the vet and if worms are confirmed then they'll probably prescribe meds without examining her. Over the counter worm meds are not usually effective and in some cases actually dangerous, so don't go that route.

The vet may also be willing to test and treat for coccidia and giardia without examining her. You'll have to ask.

If the parasite testing is negative, then another place to look is her food. She may be allergic to something in it. I went through this same battle with Holly when she was a baby, turns out she was allergic to fish. Corn, wheat or soy would also be other ingredients I would be suspicious of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsmoothee
... i dont really give a **** about the cat i want to get rid of it but my my roommate paid for her and wants to keep her im just lookin for solutions...... but if anybody out there that lives near Montana and wants a free kitten let me know, i will even FedEx her to you!!!
So find a no-kill shelter in your area and give the kitten up, instead of letting her die slowly and painfully from chronic diarrhea. At least at a shelter she'll get the medical care she needs to fix her diarrhea.

If you cannot provide proper care for a pet you should not have one.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
well where can i get some medicine for that without having to go to the vet im broke, i work everyday so i dont have the time or money to go to the vet, honestly i dont really give a **** about the cat i want to get rid of it but my my roommate paid for her and wants to keep her im just lookin for solutions...... but if anybody out there that lives near Montana and wants a free kitten let me know, i will even FedEx her to you!!!
Well if your roommate paid for her, isn't it your roommates cat? And that being the case, you don't have the right to give the cat away to anyone do you.

The flip side of that of course is that its possibly your roommate that should be responsible for the vet bills. If she can't afford it, there are organisations that might be able to help. Have a look here for more info :

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=42356

The cat needs to get to the vet, whether you care for it or not. Having a pet is a serious commitment. If you dont have the money or/and time for the cat, you shouldn't have one. I'm sorry, but attitudes like yours really bug the heck out of me.

I hope your roommate has more compassion.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

OK....easy folks. His comment wasn't nice, but he did come here to get help. Let's not gang up on him and drive him away. We need to give him constructive advice to get the cat the help it needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

I did give constructive advice (as well as my disapproval which i'm entitled to do if I so wish). He did not say he was being fobbed off with someone elses pet (if he is, he needs to put that right - as you say that wouldnt be fair).

If the roommate has paid for the cat, I would suggest the ownership of the cat belongs to the roommate and therefore the roommate should pay. And seeing as the poster obviously isnt interested in the cat (by his own admission) I don't think thats too strong an assumption. Hence why I gave the link for helping with vets fees in case roommate cant afford it. I would suggest that was constructive advice.

By the way - I am not, and never will be, a 'housewife'. And gunterkat is a man (I think!)

JRsmoothee - I'm sorry that I am a little sharp - but I stand by my comment that I don't understand your attitude. I do hope, however, that the links I gave will help either you or your roommate to take the cat to the vet. I do think that roommate (rather than you) should take the cat to the vet as they want the cat (and you don't) and they paid for it.

Keep us posted (if we havent frightened you off)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Let me clarify for anyone who's interested...the kitten did not get fobbed off on him. It was adopted by him and his girlfriend so he has a responsibility for ensuring this kitten is well taken care of.

Now, this member needs help and suggestions. Calling each other names and slinging insults under the guise of helpfulness is not going to get this cat the attention it needs. The Mods can manage this thread quite well. I am just about ready to start editing posts, which I really don't want to do. So stay on topic and help the poor cat.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Premier Cat

Re: cant take it anymore

Quote:
...but does anybody have any advice as to why she is doin this and how to prevent it
Your kitty is talking to you. Listen:
She is doing this because it is the ONLY way for her to tell you something is wrong.
It can be prevented, by FIXING whatever is wrong.

Something is upsetting her insides. Either parasites, bacteria or a food allergy are the top three that come to mind. For the first two, you will need to take the kitten to a vet for an exam and a determination of what the best course of treatment would be.
The food problem, if it is a problem, can most likely be taken care of by yourself with judicious trial/error.
First, what are you feeding her? IMO, if you are feeding her a grocery store brand of cheap cat food, you need to stop. The ingredients in most of those commercial foods (I don't care WHAT the tv commercials say) are not compatible for cats' digestion or digestibility. Sure, better foods cost more, but in the long run you feed less of them and the cat has less health problems with them.
As to you not liking the smell of cat crap, please don't feel that she is doing this on purpose to spite you. She is doing this because something is wrong with her and it is up to you (and roomate) to help her get through this. You say she does fine for weeks at a time. During those weeks are her stools firm? When she goes on the carpet, is it always diarrhea? If so, she is doing this because there is a reason, the diarrhea. It is either making her feel poorly, she can't make it to the box in time or she associates the box with feeling bad when she has diarrhea so she avoids it. You may also want to be sure the litter box is being cleaned daily. I know of cats who will NOT go and will hold it until it explodes out of them.
To help your carpet, use an enzymatic cleaner and follow the directions. Nature's Miracle, Odo Ban and Simple Solutions are products that I have used and they work very well at removing stains and odors. Permanantly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page