Litter box troubles - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Litter box troubles

Hi I'm new to this forum and I have a four month old male who seems to like to go on the bathroom rug then his litter box, does anyone know if its because its scented litter? I've heard this from a couple of people so far so I'm just currious, hes gone on the bed twice on me. I took him the vet and they said its behavioral and they're neutering him tomorrow morning.

Is there anything I can do to prevent him from repeating going on the bed? I just don't know how to handle that because I never had a cat do this to me before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 PM

Scented litter can definitely cause a problem. I suggest thoroughly cleaning the box and trying cat attract litter. If it's a cheap box, throw it out, get a new one and fill it with cat attract litter.

It could also be that he's picky about litter box cleanliness. For that you should consider an automatic litter box.

Edited by doodlebug to remove links
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Cat Addict

Most automatic litterboxes are...blech. More work than they are worth. That said, I have a littermaid and it's occasionally worth the extra work (mostly it lives on a shelf in the garage, but occasionally I take it out and set it up to see if it's better than I remembered).

Automatic litterboxes are discussed in length on this forum:

www.litterbox-central.com

That said, it could be. Although it seems odd. Does he do both pee and poo on the rug or just one? If he only does one, then try a second litterbox. Some cats just prefer one bodily function per box.

If that isn't the fix, then we'd need more info. How long has he been doing it? Is it all the time or just occasionally?

If none of the above helps, try another litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

he poops on a regular bases in the litter box but then he hops out and starts pawing at the rug

I think that maybe it. I bought two litter boxes this morning with unscented litter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Premier Cat

Just an idea...any men/boys in your home using that toilet...and perhaps their 'aim' isn't the greatest?
If there is any urine smell on the rug, it could be that kitty is trying to bury that smell OR that since he smells it from the people, he figures that is what you are supposed to do on the rug?

He could also just like to pee on soft things. For your bedding, I would recommend cleaning it (and bath rugs) with an enzymatic cleaner. When he peed on the bed, were the covers rumpled or smoothed? I ask, only because I think rumpled may be more enticing for him to pee on than a smoothed flat surface.

I have two bath-rug pee-ers, both male. No medical problems, but if we leave the bathroom door open and unattended we can be assured of finding a wet spot. Usually it is near where the feet step out of the shower and/or in front of the toilet bowl. My solution was to keep the door closed at all times, hang the bath rugs over the tub to dry after showers and wash the bath rugs more often, as I wonder if the pee-cats were peeing there (step out from shower) because it was getting mildew-y from the wet feet out of the stall.

*I start to dry off IN the shower stall and flip my towel end out to the floor and step on that before stepping bare-footed on the rugs to dry my legs. Husband, on the other hand, steps out immediately (all wet and drippy) onto the bathmat and then begins to dry off with the towel, starting at his head and finishing with his feet, allowing all manner of water to run down his body to soak into the bathmat before he gets dried.
Hmm. Looks like Husband is my problem.

Anyhow, you may find that neutering may have changed this behavior so it has not become permanant. Best of luck and let us know how he does...
h

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Theres no males in my house, just the cat and the bearded dragon and he goes in his own cage.

I think I have the solution, and we'll see how the rest of the week goes. But I did notice when I got up Anakin first walked to where I left the one ltter box in that he pooped in earlier that morning, he immediately went to the other one I set up and went pee in it immediately, heck I had to keep him from jumping into the supply box the litter came in. I actually had to pick him up out of the litter supply box a couple of times. I hope this is the solution to the problem.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still suspicious of the dragon.....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah! I love when something works! Let us know if it continues to solve the problem!

I'm sure you're happy too.

If it continues, check the dragon, per Marie's suggestion.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty's Mom
Yeah! I love when something works! Let us know if it continues to solve the problem!

I'm sure you're happy too.

If it continues, check the dragon, per Marie's suggestion.
Its not the bearded dragon its a lizzard actually
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Cat Addict

I know that a bearded dragon is a lizard...I was joking...

Sorry, I know litterbox issues are not a laughing matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page