Cats and high places - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Cats and high places

My kitten is now around 3-4 months old I guess, and is early complete fear of heights remains intact. HOWever, as he's now becoming more active and running and jumping and climbing more, is he's getting into higher places and then getting too scared to come down. I'm particularly worried about a nearby tree that has a wide trunk with no branches at all until some metres up - I'm scared he might somehow run up and then get stuck. Would hunger eventually prevail? When firemen are called in to get scairdy cats down, is it overworried owners or is there genuine risk to the cat?

And is there anything I can do to help alleviate kitty's fear of heights? Should I place him in high places I can still reach and let him get comfortable or will that make it worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Banned

hmm It works with humans (to an extent) but not sure about kittens.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

I would never do that. I'd think it would terrify the poor thing.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Premier Cat

Your kitten is still a baby and it is perfectly normal for him to still be unsure of heights.
You should have seen the day Nanook FINALLY got the courage up to jump onto the top of my 5ish foot tall armoire. It had taken weeks to build up the courage and he was SOO proud he could barely stand up.
Don't push him, just let your baby explore and learn what his abilities are. Just some unsolicited advice: if he's going outside, I would not let such a young cat out unattended. They aren't able to fully defend themselves yet, don't have any sense and can get into all sorts of trouble.
Oh and as for calling the fire dept...It depends, usually they will come down on their own but, if your cat has been stuck up there for a couple of days it can be dangerous as they can become dehydrated and/or be suffering from exposure, so I don't think it would be an over reaction to get them down by whatever safe means.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page