Is daily fighting normal? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Is daily fighting normal?

Fern and Fergie are sisters, and I know that they're going to have their little fights, but I don't know what's normal for two young adult cats. Afternoons and evenings every day they start rolling around and whacking at each other. Usually Fergie starts it, pouncing on Fern as she's minding her own business. Fern's got three pounds on Fergie, so she usually throws her sister off without a problem, although Fergie will continue to pounce on Fern for ten minutes or so. I'll see some tufts of fur flying, but I don't get any hissing, crying, or other sounds of serious anger or pain. They seem to fight more if I give them an empty box from a 12-pack of soda. One of them will crawl into the box and get comfy, then the other one will bite that one on the butt, and then the smackdown starts for the next ten or fifteen minutes. Not sure what it is about that specific size of box, but it really seems to promote fights.

So is this totally normal behavior and I just need to get used to it? I get the feeling it is, but I want to be sure.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Is daily fighting normal?

My twins wrestle every single day, sometimes several times a day, but there's no fur flying. I think as long as there's no hissing or crying, it's okay.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Premier Cat

Drink more soda and give them each their own box.

...agreeed. If there are no noises, the fighting is still in "play" or "companionable" mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

They're not fighting, they're playing. Keep their nails clipped and let them have at it. It's good exercise too.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Tom Cat

Someone told me that if I still find them sleeping on the bed together later that day apparently it wasn't a true fight. It was just rough play.

I'll be the first to admit that Jack doesn't know how to properly play--he missed that as a kitten, and for as much as I know so did Harley. They get vocal during play, but I monitor it and have been using redirection. And I always find them together later on.

Leslie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Rusty gets VERY vocal during play, but I am positive that it is just how he plays. The other cats are obviously just wrestling for fun, and Rusty will scream and meow and grunt and yowl and whine the whole time. Then he is the one to come back for more.

Sometimes fur flies too, just little clumps. But no one ever gets hurt, and they are all still friends just minutes later.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Cool Cat

I'll add that mine are sisters and yup, they do that, too. They can go from washing each other's faces to a full-blown wrestling match in 30 seconds flat.

I don't know how much of the play-fighting is "play" and how much is "fighting," but I read in one of the Cat vs Cat-type books that if neither of the cats is screaming like it's being murdered, it's not serious and you can probably ignore it. I know my experience is that, no matter how vigorously they seem to be going at it, neither of them get so much as a scratch.

I wanted to add your box battles remind me of this story from the Onion:

Kitchen-Floor Conflict Intensifies As Rival House Cats Claim Same Empty Bag
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany
I wanted to add your box battles remind me of this story from the Onion:

Kitchen-Floor Conflict Intensifies As Rival House Cats Claim Same Empty Bag

That article could have said Fern and Fergie and you'd have my girls in a nutshell! Okay, so I'm getting that they're just playing, but it's still suspicious to me that they went totally nuts the first evening that they had a can of Wellness for dinner!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page