My cat keeps lying in the litter tray - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

My cat keeps lying in the litter tray

One of my cats, Fudge has just been spayed and keep going to the littertray and lying down in it. Is this normal behaviour???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Premier Cat

Re: My cat keeps lying in the litter tray

Not unless she liked to lay in it before she had her spay.

The only time my cats lay in the litter is if they are trying to hide and/or aren't feeling well. Check her over, see if she has been licking or pulling at her stitches. See if she is feeling "depressed" and lethargic. If she is just in a bit of pain from the surgery/anesthesia, you could make her comfortable in a small, quiet room where she won't get disturbed. If she has any other problems, or you just think she is "off", call the vet who did the spay and let them know. They may be able to give you trouble-signs to look for.
Good luck and keep us posted,
Heidi

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi Heidi, thanks for your response. Logical question: but i cant recall her going to sit and lie down in th elitter tray. I have put a box next to the tray with bits of paper in today and she goes in that for a roll instead of the litter. also she has had her first 'number2' since the op which is promising.

She keeps getting her claws stuck in rugs and carpets and struggles to get free. Is this normal, she never used to before.

She is curled up in front of the fire at the mo snoring her head off so I will just have to keep my eye on the little patient.

Thanks again

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Cali lays in the litter box sometimes and it makes me crazy. I simply pick up the nearest toy and she'll jump out. It's usually when the sun is hitting it and she believes, probably because she gets bottled water and good food, that this is some sort of resort and she's at the beach, catching some rays.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

ha ha thanks marie, I know exactley what you mean by resort.

well i am pleased to report i haven't caught her in the tray since the posting on here. My boyfriend reckons it was to get rid of the vet smell and be comforted by her own scents..weird but there could be something in it.

Caught her licking and trying to bite the stitches which makes me wince but I think its just curiousity. When can I pick her up as I dont want to hurt her. she keeps climbing all over my head in bed purring and my patience is wearing a bit as i feel i cant pick her up in case its too delicate.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

You can pick her up right away, only you may have to lift her differently than usual. Don't pick her up under her elbows with her lower body hanging down, pick her up under her chest and support her rump/hind-legs with one hand to cradle her to your chest or in your arms.
My two kittens are leaping all over the place; on/off the bed. I guess they feel fine, they wouldn't be able to do it otherwise...

Her claws getting stuck in the carpet could have been a bit of left-over reaction/response to the anesthesia and not retracting her claws all the way due to excess relaxation. You could trim them a bit if it continues to be a problem.
h

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Heidi! Fudge is doing well now. In top form.
Thanks for all the support!
Laura
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page