My Cat has a problem. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Cat

My Cat has a problem.

A few weeks ago it saw a snake. Ever since she has been really jumpy and catious when walking around the house. Every time there is a fairly loud noise she jumps up with fright. is there any advice for me to help her get over this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:14 AM
Premier Cat

Re: My Cat has a problem.

Welcome, I'd say to just be there for her to count on for loves and snuggles to reassure her. When there is a lound noise and she jumps, speak to her in a soothing voice. You can say nonsense things, like: "Oh, Honey, I'm sorry that noise scared you, but everything is okay. There is nothing to be alarmed about." et cetera...

Our cat LuckyDuck, whom my husband rescued from his place of work, had a HUGE abcess on his neck and was very sick. It took a long time to heal and after it did, I noticed he was VERY defensive about me dragging any strings for him to play with, but he didn't "play" with them... He would leap on them, stiffly pouncing with his front feet and biting the string, like he was trying to kill a snake. We think his injury was caused by a snake bite and that is why he was so 'alert' to things that looked snake-ish.

Your kitty is probably just having a bit of fear-association reaction.
Heidi

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Welcome, I'd say to just be there for her to count on for loves and snuggles to reassure her. When there is a lound noise and she jumps, speak to her in a soothing voice. You can say nonsense things, like: "Oh, Honey, I'm sorry that noise scared you, but everything is okay. There is nothing to be alarmed about." et cetera...

Our cat LuckyDuck, whom my husband rescued from his place of work, had a HUGE abcess on his neck and was very sick. It took a long time to heal and after it did, I noticed he was VERY defensive about me dragging any strings for him to play with, but he didn't "play" with them... He would leap on them, stiffly pouncing with his front feet and biting the string, like he was trying to kill a snake. We think his injury was caused by a snake bite and that is why he was so 'alert' to things that looked snake-ish.

Your kitty is probably just having a bit of fear-association reaction.
Heidi
Okay thank you, i will use that advice. has he gotten over it and if so how long did it take coz she has been edgy for about 2 months now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Premier Cat

Wow. Two months is a long time. Lucky now plays with strings, and actually plays with them now, instead of trying to 'kill' them. I think he took about 5 weeks to heal and it was probably 6 months before he stopped giving strings, cords and ropes the "hairy eyeball".

What kinds of loud noises is she jumping at? Are they just random accidental loud noises or loud noises from everyday living? Random things will be harder for her to get used to, because of the nature of being random, she can't 'expect' it, they just happen suddenly. Everyday noises, eventually she will desensitize to them.

Keep us updated as to how she does, and if you find something that solves her problem.
h

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Wow. Two months is a long time. Lucky now plays with strings, and actually plays with them now, instead of trying to 'kill' them. I think he took about 5 weeks to heal and it was probably 6 months before he stopped giving strings, cords and ropes the "hairy eyeball".

What kinds of loud noises is she jumping at? Are they just random accidental loud noises or loud noises from everyday living? Random things will be harder for her to get used to, because of the nature of being random, she can't 'expect' it, they just happen suddenly. Everyday noises, eventually she will desensitize to them.

Keep us updated as to how she does, and if you find something that solves her problem.
h
she jumps at alot, just one of her kittens playing with a toy she gets jumpy, sliding doors closing a fridge. she getting to the point where it is getting fraustrating.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat

need helpppppppppppppppp, can a vet or medication fix this coz it's getting worse!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Premier Cat

Take her to the vet and ask.

Brief synopsis. Please correct me if I have this wrong:
You: 4 sentences explaining problem.
Me: 8 sentences welcoming and sharing ideas.
You: 2 sentence reply.
Me: 9 sentences of more sharing of ideas and asking questions.
You: 1 sentence requesting help and asking about medication.

If you don't give us a more complete picture of what is happening with your cat there is nothing we can advise you to do. I certainly hope you are more forthcoming with the vet.

How does the cat behave around you and other household members?
Does anyone regularly handle and pet the cat?
Does the cat approach any person to ask for attention herself?
Does the cat enjoy interacting with her people?
Does anyone engage the cat in play activity?
Is the cat comfortable/relaxed at all?
If so, at what times or what are the circumstances of her being relaxed?
Does she ever purr?
Does the cat ever carry her tail straight up or is it usually carried low?
Does the cat remain visible or does the cat hide?
Does she walk confidently around the house or does she slink?
Are her ears constantly moving and her eyes wide and scanning the area?
Will she close her eyes when in the presence of people?
_ _ _ I don't mean blinking, I mean resting, closing her eyes and just listening to the activity around her.
Is the household noisy?
Is there screaming, yelling, loud talking or running and fast movements?
Any significant changes to/in the household?
What type of food is she being fed?
How old is your cat?
How long have you had your cat?
Any significant behavior changes from when you first got her to now?
_ _ _ If yes, please explain how the behavior was different and if there were any reasons you could determine.
Is she current on her vaccinations?
Is she spayed?

I am asking these questions to determine her personality and state of being; trying to pinpoint if she has a problem or if her people are contributing to the problem.
Best wishes to your kitty,
Heidi

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Take her to the vet and ask.

Brief synopsis. Please correct me if I have this wrong:
You: 4 sentences explaining problem.
Me: 8 sentences welcoming and sharing ideas.
Me: 9 sentences of more sharing of ideas and asking questions.
You: 1 sentence requesting help and asking about medication.

If you don't give us a more complete picture of what is happening with your cat there is nothing we can advise you to do. I certainly hope you are more forthcoming with the vet.

How does the cat behave around you and other household members?
Does anyone regularly handle and pet the cat?
Does the cat approach any person to ask for attention herself?
Does the cat enjoy interacting with her people?
Does anyone engage the cat in play activity?
Is the cat comfortable/relaxed at all?
If so, at what times or what are the circumstances of her being relaxed?
Does she ever purr?
Does the cat ever carry her tail straight up or is it usually carried low?
Does the cat remain visible or does the cat hide?
Does she walk confidently around the house or does she slink?
Are her ears constantly moving and her eyes wide and scanning the area?
Will she close her eyes when in the presence of people?
_ _ _ I don't mean blinking, I mean resting, closing her eyes and just listening to the activity around her.
Is the household noisy?
Is there screaming, yelling, loud talking or running and fast movements?
Any significant changes to/in the household?
What type of food is she being fed?
How old is your cat?
How long have you had your cat?
Any significant behavior changes from when you first got her to now?
_ _ _ If yes, please explain how the behavior was different and if there were any reasons you could determine.
Is she current on her vaccinations?
Is she spayed?

I am asking these questions to determine her personality and state of being; trying to pinpoint if she has a problem or if her people are contributing to the problem.
Best wishes to your kitty,
Heidi
k, i'll answer them in order.

She is Usually Normal.
Everyone in the house pics her up.
Yes, Occasionally
yes
yes
no not at the moment.
she purrs when we pick her up and rub under her chin
its down nearly all the time
Visible
slink for sure
the ears are always moving but i dont take much notice of the eyes
No
Sometimes, a 6 year old is in the house.
yes, usually the kids run through the house
No
cat Buiscats druing day, and the tin food at night
2 years old
8-10 months
Yes, when we first got her and the first few months a very playful cat. she was a good behaving cat, but now she is scared of everyting. checking out shoes and chairs, i'm not sure if her seeing a snake over her food bowl watching her and her litter could of done this or not.
Yes
Yes she was Spayed late december.

Thats the info on her and thanks for asking these questions, and while i'm here is it possible for a cat to go on heat after being spayed?
because she has being making those howling noises and rolling around the floor for a few days now.

Thanks Josh 91.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh 91
...is it possible for a cat to go on heat after being spayed?
because she has being making those howling noises and rolling around the floor for a few days now.
Hmmm. That is odd. When they spay a cat, they usually do a complete ovariohysterectomy, removing everything behind the cervix. I suppose, if they left behind a bit of tissue, she could still produce the hormones that would bring her into heat. I am not sure how a vet would check for that, maybe a blood test?

Your home-life with your cat certainly appears very steady and solid. This leads me to believe that hse is probably just a nervous cat, though I would certainly be able to tell more if I could watch her in her home and see how she interacts. Maybe all members of the household could try picking her up for a snuggle or sitting down with her for a cuddle and just lavish some attention on her, making her feel good with scrubbles and muscle massages.
Myself, I think I would work on handling her more, to get her used to it and more comfortable around the people in her home before I turned to a vet for a 'magic pill'. I would have a difficult time doping a kitty unless it was truly necessary for their health and the health of those around them.
Best of luck,
h

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat

still no improvement , should i try to keep her away from the area beacause she gets quite scared and clings onto me when we are around the area she saw the snake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page