Kitty changing food preferences in a boarding cattery? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Kitty changing food preferences in a boarding cattery?

Recently my cat Milly stayed in a boarding cattery while I was away, and a strange thing happened: apparently she wouldn't eat her usual food. The lady caring for her said she refused her usual food (Eagle Pack wet food) and when the lady offered her Dine (another wet food) she ate it.

The weird thing is, now that she's home, I offered her Dine, and she didn't eat it. Because I'd like to have her back on Eagle Pack, the next time I prepared her food I put a tiny bit of Eagle Pack on one side of her bowl. She went straight for the Eagle Pack and barely touched the dine. Today I increased the amount of Eagle Pack, and she did the same thing! What I'm trying to say is that it seems as though she prefers Eagle Pack, even though the lady said she didn't want to eat it at the boarding cattery!

Is this normal? My guess is that she was a little bit stressed about being left at the boarding cattery and didn't have an appetite, and by the time she was offered Dine, she'd decided to eat again... I'm just guessing, though. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Re: Kitty changing food preferences in a boarding cattery?

Is everyone as stumped as me?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Kitty changing food preferences in a boarding cattery?

Maybe she just saw what the other cats were eating and wanted to try it. I am not sure if cats can feel "left out", but they sure do learn from watching other cats.

When I first adopted my cat she would not eat any kind of treat for the first 8 months or so. We had her boarded and told the people who worked there that she didn't like treats.

When we picked her up they said she started meowing and begging when the other cats got treats so they gave her some too. They gave her temptations and she loved them. When we got her home. we had some old bags of the same brand of treats in the house that she would never eat and now she loves them. She still won't eat any other brands though.

regards,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page