How to stop cat from litttering indoors? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

How to stop cat from litttering indoors?

I have a cat now 5 years old. And so far since the last 5 months, the cat seems to like to litter indoors compared to outdoors. Always at the same spot and almost always at specific times.

Pee in the sink in the toilet and solid excrement on the carpet. And the times seem to be almost always around 1am for the
solid and 30 mins before that for the pee.

I tried placing the cats outside 2 hours when I see she tries to dig the carpet in a move to excrete but after I let the cat in, the cat just continues when I least notice. I do notice that 3 hours could inhibit the cat from soiling the carpet but then it will be like 230 am before I can let the cat in.

The cat is neutered, sleep indoors, does not like to stay outdoors. Does not like cages, and I don't plan to put it in a cage anytime soon. Response to calls and somewhat intelligent.

Is there a way to make the cat do her business outside rather than inside? Maybe some spray or chemical or whatever to place at the spots so that it will inhibit the cat from soiling. Basically I don't really mind peeing in the sink as I can just wash it. But on the carpet, that is another matter.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Tom Cat

Re: How to stop cat from litttering indoors?

Sleeps indoors doesn't like to be outdoors...

Why not just give it a litterbox so it stops using the bathroom elsewhere?

Leslie
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome, and I'm sorry you are having some difficulties. I think you need to work with your cat on this one. First, would be to provide a litterbox she can use inside and you clean waste out daily so she has a clean and maintained place to 'go'. Second, try to find an enzymatic pet stain/odor cleaner. The enzymes will break down the organic matter that creates bacteria and odor and help to eliminate that 'spot' as a "bathroom area" to your cat. You have to really soak the area with the enzymatic cleaner and allow it to air dry and you may have to apply it twice. Last, the number one cause of inappropriate elimination in cats (exhibited by sudden changes in fastidious bathroom habits) is a Urinary Tract Infection, Crystals in the urine or inflamation of the urinary tract ranging from kidneys to bladder to ureter. These conditions are painful and the cat quickly associates the pain with their usual area of elimination so in trying to avoid the pain, they seek out areas where maybe it won't hurt, like on smooth or soft surfaces. These problems must be diagnosed by a vet using a urine sample and treated with a diet changew, antibiotics or anti-inflamatories.

If your cat is having a painful medical problem causing this behavior, it could be that her doing this is the only way she can let you know something is wrong with her.
Best of luck and I hope your cat feels well, soon.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Cool Cat

Does your cat have a litter box inside the house?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

I have a litterbox, but stop using it as its a bit of a chore to remove the waste daily It also smells after the cat uses it. Maybe I can retrain the cat somehow?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystvearn
Maybe I can retrain the cat somehow?
Not if she is having a health/medical problem. Your cat already knows how to use a litterbox. Something is wrong if she has stopped using it and I would have the vet check for any urinary problems. That is the first thing I would do.

As to the litterbox, I know it is a chore to scoop it every day, but when we keep animals with us we need to make sacrifices because we are confining the animal and not allowing it 100% access to do what it wants, when it wants, and it is our responsibility to see to those needs.
IMO, if you keep a cat indoors, even only overnight or only for a few hours, I think it is a good idea to provide a litterbox to help eliminate possible accidents in the house. Just like us, pets can not feel very good and if they are feeling 'off' or 'ill' they are going to do what they have to do (potty/vomit) no matter where they are. It isn't their fault they make a mess if we have them confined in our homes.

I have between 6-12 cats in my home at any one time. Of those, only two can go outside because they came to me as adult feral barn-cats and are skilled at coping with the outdoors. I like to use a clumping cat litter. As long as the poop gets covered/coated with the litter, it neutralizes the smell immediately. Then, the only odor is from the poop as it exits the cat and drops into the hole they scooped in the litter before they bury it. My litterbox is also vented to the outside with clothes-dryer ducting, this helps with both odor and dust. That particular litterbox is huge. It is 2'x2'x4' and looks like a hope-chest. I scoop waste out once daily and it serves my cats just fine. Sometimes people with a single cat and a large litterbox can scoop it out every other day, but I have found that urine clumps left longer than a day can get a very strong ammonia odor. This not only smells bad to me, but is probably much more overpowering and offensive to a cat's delicate sense of smell.

Best of luck,
Heidi

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Senior Cat

He may not want to go outside because something bothers him out there.

My cats are indoors/outdoors BUT I still keep trays in the house ..one for the kittens and another one for "perhaps"

Cats are very fussy about their toilets and mine get scrubbed every second day and poop scooped as soon as it lands .

Changing litter is much easier than removing pee stains

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, the cat is fighting with another car outside if they meet. If not everything is fine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
I have a litterbox, but stop using it as its a bit of a chore to remove the waste daily It also smells after the cat uses it.
Um, okay, use clumping litter and a litter locker. (Google if you're not sure what it is.)

Quote:
Maybe I can retrain the cat somehow?
Honestly....it would be easier to just put the litter box back. Poor cat probably has no idea why you removed it.

If it is too much of a pain to scoop out the litter once a day, perhaps a cat is not for you.

Maybe you're better suited to a stuffed animal?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

The cat has been trained to do it outdoors. I rarely use a litterbox, only when I go outstation for 1 week or so then I will use. Also outdoors in a tropical country is fine with the cat. Rarely cats in my country sleep indoors. Most cat owners leave them outdoors. I spoil the cat too much in my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page