Has anyone experienced... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Has anyone experienced...

getting a new kitten & the existing cat accepting it & wanting to play but the kitten not being too keen? The kittie's only about 13 weeks old at the moment and tends to just ignore my adult cat when he tries to play with her. He's had other cats around a fair bit (through fostering/living with a friend with a cat) and he loves, loves loves to play! I feel really bad for him though cos the new kitten is more interested in toys and people, and just ignores him. She has hissed at him a couple of times but apart from that, is very relaxed and doesn't seem scared of him.

I'm hoping in time she'll come around & they can be play buddies, has anyone had a similar experience???

-Bec

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Has anyone experienced...

Welcome, and I've sort of had that happen.

We are a multi-cat household (6-12 at any given time) and sometimes that number is bumped up when I foster litters of kittens. Most of my cats are very good about accepting newcomers and kittens seem to get an even more lenient "pass" because of their age. Have you only had the new kitten a short time? IME, it can take a few days to up to a few weeks, or even months before everyone gets adjusted, but they have all adjusted. Some, came right in and were right at home and accepted by the established clan immediately; Bonnie, Blaze, Marmalade, Reilly, Squirrely-Jo, Shasta, LuckyDuck, Dusty and Floofy come to mind.
Wow. That list is long! I guess I've just happened to luck into getting very laid back cats?

Anyhow, give your two time and I'm sure they'll get along just fine. It seems like your big boy is very accepting and THAT is the key to getting cats to accept other cats; when the established cat 'okays' the newcomer. I feel eventually the newcomer will come around and become accepting, especially if your big boy doesn't give up wanting to be friendly. You could try giving them treats near each other and playing with toys that keep them entertained and sort of close together; like DaBird or Cat Charmers and lazer lights.
Heidi

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks, I feel a little better now.. I've only had kitten for less than a week so I guess it'a an achievement that they're free in the same room in such a short time with no troubles so to speak!

Another worry I have is that my existing cat is used to sleeping on the bed but kitten has decided she wants to too, and existing kitty hasn't slept in bed with us since she's been around. It's a great thing that he's otherwise accepted her & tried so hard to play with her but I feel bad for him sleeping on the futon on the other side of the room.. Do you think this may be part of the adjustment period, and he'll come back to the bed? I was thinking of setting up a pen & putting new kitty in there at night, so the existing kitty doesn't feel like his bed is being taken over.. What do you think???

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Premier Cat

I think it IS a great achievement that they have progressed so quickly through the introduction process. I also think that while established-kitty has abdicated his bed to the little-one, eventually when they accept each other more, he will probably come back to sleeping on the bed.

Your kitten is a little older than most "kittens" in that she is at the age where the mother cat tries to 'run them off' because she is usually preparing for the birth of her next litter. Also, this age is where the kittens sort of transition from care-free-kitten to independent-survival-mode, and this can also make them a bit stand-offish.

The two kittens I am fostering were trapped as ferals at about 12-14wks old and working to tame them was very challenging because of their 'older' age and the mental independent development stage they were in to becoming cats. They are about 6mo old now, were spayed last week and are doing wonderfully. Having them spend 2 days away in a very strange environment and returning to me and my home did wonders for them. They are very trusting of me now and I can handle them and kiss them with no problems, where as before, they would try to get away and/or revert back to feral-like stand-off-ish behavior. I think they are finally ready for the adoption process and to find their forever homes.

Right now, there is a lot of 'newness' for both of your cats to get used to. Keep giving it time and I bet everything works out well.
h

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thankyou so much.. I'd been trying to tell myself that but just needed someone to reassure me

Bec

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I can't believe how much things have changed since that last post where I was worried about the kitten (Meeka) not liking Sam (older cat).. After the stage of her ignoring him, she went through a stage of copying his EVERY move, down to the position he was sleeping/sitting in. That stage has passed now but they're still great friends..

Rather than Sammy trying to play with Meeka constantly, it's now her driving him crazy! It's such a good feeling watching them chase each other around and seeing them cuddled up asleep together (sometimes with their front legs around) each other is the best!

Bec

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.my.cats
Rather than Sammy trying to play with Meeka constantly, it's now her driving him crazy!
It's such a good feeling watching them chase each other around and seeing them cuddled up asleep together (sometimes with their front legs around) each other is the best!
That is great news! ...and I loved the pics of them in your siggie. I have a huge smile on my face right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page