Litter box in the bathroom - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Litter box in the bathroom

Cookie refuses to share a litter box with Riley, so we set up his own litter box. Riley's is kept downstairs in the laundry room. Cookie's was upstairs in the bathroom. For some reason, Cookie's box smells so bad, even though the boxes are cleaned the same amount of times and we use the same litter for both boxes. We have come to the conclusion that the humidity in the bathroom causes odor to maximize!

We tried to move Cookie's litter box downstairs next to Riley's, but Cookie objected to that, by pooping in the bath tub. I had showed him the new location, but he still wouldn't use it.

My question is, if you keep your cat's box in the bathroom, what kind of litter do you use? My dh said Cookie had to find a new home. I finally got him convinced to let us keep Cookie, but I have to find a litter solution that we can all live with.

What are your suggestions?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Litter box in the bathroom

Murphy's litterbox is in a bathroom too, and we use S*Wheat Scoop litter. It's the only litter I've ever used so I can't really compare it to others, but I think it's pretty good. It's flushable, so you just scoop and flush, and never have to deal with it again.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Cool Cat

Both our boxes are in bathrooms. We use Tidy Cat for Multiple Cats and have very little odor (fresh poos which are poorly covered still smell, obviously).
It is a clumping litter, and we scoop into a Litter Locker (like a diaper genie) twice a day.
Mind you, the bathrooms have a good venting system, and since we have no one else but us in the apartment, we don't close the doors very often.
I'm wondering if it isn't the cat, has he been checked by a vet recently for urinary issues?
As for the poop in the tub, hey, at least he did it in the tub where it is easy to clean!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
As for the poop in the tub, hey, at least he did it in the tub where it is easy to clean!

That's what I remind my dh, but he isn't impressed. I'd rather clean poo off of a solid surface any day, if it's not in the litter box.

I just went and bought some Tidy Cats Small Spaces clumping litter and set Cookie's box back up in the bathroom. He seems pleased that he got his point across.

I hope this takes care of my Man vs. Cat issues. Dh seems rather annoyed that the "fur-brat" is as strong-willed as he is!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvcookie
Cookie refuses to share a litter box with Riley, so we set up his own litter box. Riley's is kept downstairs in the laundry room. Cookie's was upstairs in the bathroom. For some reason, Cookie's box smells so bad, even though the boxes are cleaned the same amount of times and we use the same litter for both boxes. We have come to the conclusion that the humidity in the bathroom causes odor to maximize!

We tried to move Cookie's litter box downstairs next to Riley's, but Cookie objected to that, by pooping in the bath tub. I had showed him the new location, but he still wouldn't use it.

My question is, if you keep your cat's box in the bathroom, what kind of litter do you use? My dh said Cookie had to find a new home. I finally got him convinced to let us keep Cookie, but I have to find a litter solution that we can all live with.

What are your suggestions?
Hey there!
I had a big problem with my old cat litter, I have a bathroom in our bedroom, everything smelled like cat litter, dust everywhere, it was awful so I went shopping for cat litter and found DR. ELSEY'S precious cat, classic formula and man I am telling you it is the best litter ever, low tracking, kills the odor pretty good, so far Tiger's paw don't stink, the bathroom isn't covered in layers of dust, the floor is cleaner!
I absolutely recommend it!!

Maria
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Premier Cat

I've always had mine in the bathroom and haven't had a problem. Unless they go while I'm trying to relax in the tub! Pee-eew!
Lately, I've been using Feline Pine. Once the initial stench of pine goes away (several hours) I love it! NO tracking! But I do scoop several times a day and clean it often.

Victoria
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
I've always had mine in the bathroom and haven't had a problem. Unless they go while I'm trying to relax in the tub! Pee-eew!
Lately, I've been using Feline Pine. Once the initial stench of pine goes away (several hours) I love it! NO tracking! But I do scoop several times a day and clean it often.
I never used our bathroom before but now I think I could thanks to the new litter. I can picture you taking a bath while your cat takes a nice warm poop LOL I am sure it is far from pleasant but it sure made me laugh thank you

Maria
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Premier Cat

Cats do have impeccable timing!

Victoria
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook

Cats do have impeccable timing!
I am now scarred forever.. those images...
LOL

Maria
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Tom Cat

when you moved it out of the bathroom did you just make one huge move like from point a to point b? or take small moves from point a to point b?

Like we wanted the litter boxes in the basement when we moved into our rental house so we started in the kitchen, then moved right by the basement door, then to the basement step landing then to the bottom of the basement steps. Spending at least a week in each arrangement.

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page