Our cat keep pushing our faces when we are on bed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Our cat keep pushing our faces when we are on bed

We just adopted our cat, Jati, a week ago. He is a very affectionate cat, and always like attention. In the past few weeks, it seems that he does not behave in any stressful way since he moved in to our place. He can eat, sleep, go to this litter box, let me cut his nails, and play with us. We are very happy with him, but there is one problem.

Jati is now sleeping with us in the same room. Although we have a bed for him, he likes to come to bed with us, and we let him stay. The problem is, he wakes up in the middle of the night and start walking around the bed, lick our faces, push our hand with his head, and wake both of me and my bf up. We put him in the next room, and he won't stop meowing. So we let him back, climb back to bed, and he'll do the same thing. We haven't been sleeping well in the past few nights since we all share the bed together.

On the one hand, we like the intimacy we have with him on the bed together. On the other hand, it is really ignoring that he always do that in the middle of the night. Is our only solution is separate bedroom? or is there any other things that we can do?

Thanks in advance for any tips/ suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Our cat keep pushing our faces when we are on bed

Purrfectly normal!
Most cat are naturally very lively at night so it'll take a little time for him to understand that night time is sleep time. A couple of things that helped me...
A really good play session right before bed time and then a little snack.
Once the lights are out, completely ignore him! I know this is easier said then done but it's really important. Any attention from you, even if it's not good, is success for him. If he licks your face, just turn over and put the blankets over your head. If he starts to dig at the blankets, ignore it! Don't say anything. If you do this faithfully, he will stop. Cats are very smart and he will, eventually, realize that he will not get attention and go to sleep or find something else to do. Granted, you may not get a good nights sleep for a little while but he needs a bit of time to learn the new rules. This has always worked for me and all my cats sleep with me, no problem.
He sounds like a sweetheart! Pictures?
Good luck

Victoria
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned

If it becomes impossible to ignore him, you might try a quick hiss or two. This is cats-speak for "back off". My Spencer likes 4am love sessions, too, and I got him to stop by hissing at him when he woke me and then calling him for a real good love fest as soon as the alarm clock went off. Now, he waits for the alarm before he starts harassing me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Cat

hey auntie i do the same thing to my cat lol. i thought i was the only one that used the cat language to communicate hehehehhe.

Jati be lucky that you didnt have 2 hyper active 2yr old kitties in the house. with my cat and her brother, whom passed away from fip 2 yrs ago, loved to do around 2-4am in the morning is chase each other all over the house, and that includes running across the bed. many times my husband and i were woken up to howling sounds of her brother as he was chased by her, knocking things down and doing silly things like climb a wall lol.

whats even funnier is when i briefly stayed at my parents house. she woke up my mom and dad by meowing insisting she sleep under the covers with them, they totally freaked out, she responded later on by running over them in their sleep as she had her midnight crazies.

good news is the behavior is normal. the advice posted above is really good. i did pretty much the same thing. she now wakes up with me at 6am, and the good thing is if i oversleep she wakes me up lol!!!

the things cats do!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned

I still get the galloping-across-the-bed body-slamming each other wake up calls, but there's not much one can do about that except keep the cats out of the bedroom, and that's not gonna happen. So I crack an eyelid as they run past, over and around me, smile at how energetic and happy they are, and go back to sleep.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 PM

We didn't let our cats start sleeping with us until we had had them for about three months. It took a couple of weeks for them to the idea that when we go to bed we don't want them gnawing on our toes. When they do start to get crazy we take them off the bed and put them on the floor, and they've figured out that they'll get kicked off if they're too crazy. We also ended up kicking them out of the bedroom around 4am for the first month. Now they're OK until about 6:30.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Make loud "aargh" type sounds! OR....make your boyfriend sleep in another room as bait.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page