Introducing 1 or 2 cats into a 1 cat household - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Introducing 1 or 2 cats into a 1 cat household

Hello!
My cat had lost her brother 2 years ago to FIP and i wanted her to have a playmate as she is getting increasingly bored around the house. i have already applied for a cat at a shelter and she will be here on saturday but there is another beautiful cat that i would love to bring home as well. i have never introduced another cat in the household and im afraid if i mess up i will have 2 or 3 fighting females the whole time.

my cat now is also a shelter cat and is used to others. unlike some shelters this place was small so that the kitties ran around freely and interacted all the time, i volunteered there and seen little to no fights. the cat i am about to adopt seems pretty calm, quiet and not aggressive. i think she will be a lounging lap cat. they should get along. the other cat which appears to be maine coon is a bit hyper and even pawed at my fingers a few times as i pet her while in the cage. i think she may cause some tension with the other 2.

my house is fairly large and blocking off two rooms to bring those kitties home will probably put a damper on my cat. sometimes i think i should just bring them home and let them run around. i just have this sensation that they will all get along.

what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Introducing 1 or 2 cats into a 1 cat household

Quote:
i think i should just bring them home and let them run around. i just have this sensation that they will all get along.
Don't be so sure! Nito is the nicest chillest kitty you ever did see, but there are just some cats that he does not like at all. Friendly and social with my parents' cats, but he turns pretty aggressive even at the smell of Legion, my friend's cat. Sometimes, cats just don't get along. It's best to take it slow, and let them get used to each other's smells. Definitely start them out in separate rooms if you possibly can. Bathrooms could work too- just so each kitty has a safe refuge. Let them smell each other under the door, and if your resident kitty seems alright with it, and the newcomer does too, see how they react just by looking at each other.

Introductions should be taken seriously! Once cats become enemies it can be hard for them to ever get along.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Re: Introducing 1 or 2 cats into a 1 cat household

well i dont know if this is good but i brung home a female cat today. i wanted to see how they react when they met. they both hissed and moan so i placed the new cat in her room. i did the whole rub a towel all over and traded so they could smell each other. after awhile i let my cat walk in, she continued to hiss but the new cat just stood there watching. her body language seemed submissive and as she was a pacifist but my cat kept on hissing and moaning almost like she was trying to tell the new cat who the queen of the house is. she walked out on her on and so far on and off they meet at the door and my cat hisses through the door. the new cat has been totally quiet and submissive the whole time. shes so "cool" about it im wondering if shes sick lol. i am taking her into the vet tomorrow to make sure shes good to go.

so for now i will keep the cats separated by the door until my cat stops hissing at the newbie.

so is this pretty normal? i really didnt think my cat would get so crazy like that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page