Orlando is peeing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Orlando is peeing

For about a week we have noticed that one of the cats has been peeing on the bathroom rug but we didn't know who. Today I found out it is Orlando. The vet doesn't have any openings today so the soonest I can get him in is Monday at 5. He seems to be sitting for a long time when he goes, so I am pretty sure there is some problem. Does anyone know of anything I can do to help him until time for his appointment? I don't imagine he would voluntarily drink cranberry juice.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Orlando is peeing

I would take him into an emergency vet as a blockage can be life-threatening in a male cat.

Personal rant: Vets need to make room for these types of problems if they want to keep their clients.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

If he seemed at all lethargic or acted sick I would take him to the emergency clinic, but he is eating normally and playing. He seems to be 100% his usual self. He even went in the litterbox this evening. That plus I cannot STAND our local emergency clinic. When Tucker was dying and one time before that with Scottie they were extremely cold and out for as much money as they could get. I think in this case I will wait till Monday but keep a watchful eye on him. I completely agree that they should have made room for him and I am going to ask the owner about it when I see him.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Orlando is back from his vet visit. They gave me some of the non-absorbent litter so I could get a urine sample. I was sad to have to shut him in a room by himself until he "preformed", but it turned out to be only for about an hour. He really let loose and I have a huge sample to drop off at the vet on the way to work tomorrow. They also drew some blood to test and trimmed his nails. The vet we saw tonight is one that I don't particularly care for. When I asked her about not being able to get him in Saturday she blew me off by saying she wasn't there and didn't know. This veterinary practice is owned by a husband and wife, and they have two other vets working with them. The husband of the team is beyond excellent. Unfortunately his wife and the vet I saw tonight just can't think out of the box. The other vet may turn out to be very good some day but she is just out of school. I send around some questionares to a few local veterinary practices today asking if they had ever worked with FeLV+ cats and some other questions about issues that are important to me. It will be interesting to see how and if they respond. I am not sure that I will change vets, Dr Tom has done a lot for my cats, but it takes forever to get in to see him. The vet we were forced to see today is the same one who told my husband that Buzz would not live through the weekend in July when his anemia first became a problem. With the correct meds Buzzy lived another four good months. Dr. Tom's wife was obviously of the opinion that I should put Tweezer down when I first brought him in with all of his problems. It was not until I insisted that he be given a chance that she treated him. After that first visit I always insisted on waiting for Dr. Tom.
Sorry - this post has turned into more of a rant then I had intended!

Sue

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Premier Cat

I hear your frustrations with finding a good vet. When you weigh all the variables -- how good a vet they seem to be (especially diagnosing stuff and treating it correctly), location, costs, pleasant staff, efficiency, etc., it's really hard to find one that's good in every area. We've been to 4 vets in my area and no one yet completely fits the bill.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The results of the tests came back. Orlando has slightly elevated liver enzymes and white blood cells. He will be put on an antibiotic and retest in two weeks.
I have been told that elevated liver enzymes sometimes means the cat is not eating, but Orlandos appetite has not changed.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page