Cat aggression problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Cat aggression problem

Hello, I am new here and come with a problem. I have two girls, Jetta and Portia, that are nearly 4 years old. I have had them both since they were kittens, and we have always gotten along great! I love my girls! However about a year ago I lost my job, and 6 months ago I had to move in with my parents, their two cats and a small dog. While Jetta has adjusted, Portia has turned very aggressive with one of my mom's cats.

My mom's cat is older about 11 years old, and is now very nervous. Portia attacks and stalks her all the time. When we are in our room with the door shut Portia is great, but goes on the attack almost as soon as I open my door. I am at my wits end, it is not a happy atmosphere and I hate that my sweet little girl is like this. I have tried squirting her with water, tried doing time outs, and she still does it. I am hoping that maybe someone will have an idea for me.

Any ideas will be appreciated, I am willing to try everything, I want my parent's to get to experience my little sweetheart like I do.

Thanks so much in advance,
Becks, Jetta and Portia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Re: Cat aggression problem

Wow... weird... she sounds a little like my cat. What did you do? I can not believe water did not work.....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Cat aggression problem

Did you go through a formal introductions process between your cats and your parents cats? If not, I would recommend starting over. Google 'cat introduction' to get the idea and then go through the process of a complete separation, scent swapping, seeing each other thru a door cracked open a little bit etc.

Squirting and time outs are not going to work. She is doing what is instinctive, there is something about this cat she doesn't like. Is she getting along with your mom's other cat? If so, the other possibility is that the cat she is attacking sick in some way. It's instinctive to drive the weak members out so the entire colony is not at risk of a predator. A cat can know when another cat is sick way before symptoms appear to the humans. So a vet check and full blood panel for the victim might provide some info as well.

And yet another possibility is she is challenging this cat for position within the colony.

You might want to read Cat vs Cat by Pam Johnson Bennett, it will give you some good insight on how multi-cat household interact and she has a good section on cat introductions. I got my copy in Barnes & Noble, it's also available on Amazon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page