Food anxiety? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Food anxiety?

Hi. My cat was recently diagnosed as an overweight cat She's very manipulative towards me giving her food. For example, she eats a good quantity of food and somehow keeps wanting more! I'm to blame for her being overweight, because I usually cave and give her more food. It's really unsettling because I know she doesn't just eat because she's hungry! It's like a habit! Anyway, she's got this attitude when it comes to food: sometimes she wakes me up at 5 a.m because she wants to eat, if I don't listen to her, she starts moaning and, even worse, tearing things up, chewing papers, throwing stuff down from my desk until I get really mad and must give her some food so she quiets down. I know this has been very wrong from me, but now I'm cutting off her food as the vet told me, as well as exercising more with her. Today's the first day of less meal and she seems to be alright with it, but I'm afraid she'll get mad at night. What should I do to stop her being such a brat when it comes to food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Food anxiety?

I'm assuming you're feeding dry, what brand are you feeding?

leslie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Food anxiety?

She does have you well trained. The only way to break the cycle is to ignore her. When she bothers you at night, roll over and don't even say 'go away' to her. Completely ignore her. It will be hard and it may take a couple weeks, but it's the only thing that works.

I would also give her a good play session with Da Bird or a laser pointer right before bed and a bedtime snack (split her allotted food into 3 meals).

For weight loss, I recommend a switch to wet food. Dry has too many carbs and cats don't have the digestive enzyme needed to process them so it turns to fat. Here's a good article on weight loss and the need for wet food:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page