A new cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

A new cat

So we took a new cat (about half a year old), but she was kept outside most of the time and when we took her,she hid herself under beds,tables,couches and rarely lets some1 touch her.
She has been to our place for bout 4 days now and still nothing has changed.
That cat seems to be afraid of us but we dunno what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

Re: A new cat

Welcome to CF.

Your cat is only frightened. She has been taken from what she knows and placed in a situation she is unfamiliar with. I think your best bet would be to confine her to a small room, like a large bathroom or small bedroom. Provide her a place to hide and feel safe (covered cat carrier with a towel inside or bed to hide under. Visit her often through the day and offer treats of good food. My favorite bribe-treat is cooked chicken mixed with undiluted Cream of Chicken soup so it sticks to my fingertips for hand feeding.

Eventually, she should become more confident, if everyone is consistent when being with her. Letting her know she can trust this new place she is at. After she becomes confident with person/people in her confined area, you can begin letting her explore more of the house a little bit at a time until she is ready for the run of the whole house.
I usually start my new cats/kittens in the Master bathroom. When they come to me consistently, then I let then use the bathroom and master bedroom during the day, closing them back in the bathroom at night for me to sleep. After they are very confident, then I begin to let them explore the hallway and office, keeping them sort of 'herded' away from the Living Room/Kitchen until I feel they are confident enough with the hallway/office, then they can explore the rest of the house and have free-access.

It just takes time to earn the trust of a new kitty. Understand that she is scared and you can help her to grow confident in herself if you spend time with her.
Good luck,
Heidi

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Wow ty, but another thing.At nights she starts yelling and won't stop before morning.
But is it Ok to keep her in the kitchen with door shut?She has got everything she needs in he kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Premier Cat

It is certainly okay to keep her isolated so the family can sleep if she has food/water, a place to sleep and a litterbox.

Possible reasons she could be crying at night:
She is scared/lonely and crying to find the other cats she was familiar with?
She is in season? If this is the case, getting her spayed ASAP will quickly eliminate this behavior. She cannot help it if her hormones are driving her to mate.
Heidi

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I think it is a lil too early for her season, but yes she was with different cats in the other family.
When I try to offer her some food by hand,she stares me instead of the food
Oh and another thing, she started to scratch off the wallpaper,so if I put her to kitchen, will she do it there too?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rax100
...she started to scratch off the wallpaper,so if I put her to kitchen, will she do it there too?
Probably. Have you never had a cat before?

You need to determine if she is scratching because she wants OUT or because she instinctively needs to sharpen her claws, in which case you need to get her a scratching post. Your cat is behaving like I would expect a semi-feral cat to behave. You need to win her trust. Just keep working at it.
Cats can come into season as young as 6mo old.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, yes I had a 4 and a half year old cat, and we even put a up that scratching thingie on the wall, but that didnt help at all
When she's sleepy, she allows me to pat her, but when i try to approach to her any other time, she does that weird threatening noise
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Premier Cat

Hm. Then I think your new kitty is still scared and needs time to feel comfortable, but she is also going to need you to work with getting her comfortable. You may want to check out some of the threads in the Feral Cat Forum and see what techniques can work for you with your cat.
heidi

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, tyvm for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page