JUST had a cat fight on the back patio! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

JUST had a cat fight on the back patio!

Yowling, screaming, biting, clawing tomcats!

My housekitties leaped off their sleeping perches and ran to the kitchen to see what all the fuss was. I was quickly behind them, saying in a sing-song voice: it's okay babies, I'll fix it, everything's allright, babies...

I turned on the patio light and grabbed my flashlight. I saw where the two cats were facing off with each other, about 15' from the back door. I scooted my kitties away from the door and went out. The two were fuzzed up, giving each other the stare-down from less than 12" apart and yowling back and forth at each other. The black cat's fur looked all disrupted and wet from the grass. The tabby cat had a wad of black hair in his mouth.

I stepped close to them, talking to them and telling them to "Quit it!" "Stop that!" and saying "SSSHHHHSSSSTT!" every time they yowled. I stepped a little closer to them and put the head of my flashlight between them, using it to push them away from each other. The tabby cat stepped off a few paces. The black cat tried to stalk him down, but I stepped in front of him and used my flashlight again to push him off course. Every time they traded yowls, I'd say another "SSSSHHHHSSSTT!". The tabby went to run off into the night, but he crossed behind me, between me and the back door and of course, that brought him back into the same area the black cat was in and he turned and followed the tabby cat into the night. I wasn't leaving the light of the porch even if I did have a flashlight.

If they injure each other, I can probably treat the black cat because he hangs around all day, but the tabby cat I only see periodically in the evening. He did let me pet him a few nights ago, but I doubt he would let me restrain him for any kind of dosing.

Man. Tomcats. They are just going to have to wait until I have the health to be able to get them neutered. I hope I can do it before they kill each other.

*edit to add*
I felt I needed to add this explanation in case anyone new to CF didn't know about these cats.
These cats do not belong to me.
They are strays that showed up after Dusty died and have decided to hang around. I have been feeding them and plan to get them neutered, but it has to wait until I have the health/strength to be able to get them to/from the appointments. The black cat is super-friendly and the tabby cat is possibly semi-feral, though he let me pet him a few days ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Cat Addict

Re: JUST had a cat fight on the back patio!

Please, Heidi, just be careful of yourself if that should happen again! Angry toms don't care who they bite if a person gets too close to their fight. Even the altercations between the neutered alpha males where I volunteer get pretty nasty. I'm sure you know more then many people here how quickly a cat bite can go bad and I'm sure you don't need that.
Sorry, I'll get off my mom soapbox now.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Premier Cat

That must have been upsetting to witness, especially when you can't do much about it. Good luck with getting them neutered later on, when you can.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh I know how almost every animal can be once it has got its "fight" on. That is why I used my loooong flashlight to push them apart. There was NO WAY I was going to try to use my hand. Or even my leg.
Less than an hour after that, they were both eating some canned food on the back patio. Of course, they were about 6' apart and trading yowls in between bites of food. If I can find a free program to get them neutered I may be able to get them to co-exist together.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Premier Cat

Typical boys- always have to be all tough. It is hopeful that they we eating close by later on.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page