Nasty cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Nasty cat

I'm new to this board, but I have a problem with one of my kitties. She's a Tortie Shell and of course she is excessively moody. But the problem is that she is sooooo fat, she can't clean herself. She has balls of fecal matter stuck to her rear and wont let me near her to clean her up. She's starting to stink up the whole house. I'm going to take her to the vet to get cleaned, I've been putting it off because they will sedate her. My hubby and kids want me to get rid of her, but I don't think I can...

How do I keep this from happening?

Yes, she is on a diet, no, she isn't losing any weight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Nasty cat

What sort of diet is she on? What are the portion sizes? How many meals does she get a day. Wet or dry? What brand? How much exercise does she get? If you provide that information, we may be able to help with her diet.

As far as her crankiness. How old is she? How long have you had her? Is she spayed? Is she long haired (If so, have the vet shave a "potty patch" to eliminate the stuck poop). Hopefully someone can come along and give some tips about getting a cranky kitty to warm up to you- I have no experience in such matters.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I have 3 cats. The split a can of food in the morning, 1 at night, so 2/3 ish a day. We do keep dry biscuits out for them during the day, but it only gets refilled every other day. Wet food is 9-lives (I believe) and the dry food is Science Diet Urinary formula (the boys have to have this). She is so fat and lazy, she gets no exercise except when the dog chases her. She refuses to play with any toys.

Jasmine is 5 or 6, we got her when she was just a tiny little thing. She has been spayed. She's a short haired tortie. I did make an appointment for the vet tomorrow for a bath and they said they would "trim" her so she wouldn't make a mess. The did say they might need to sedate her, but they would call me first.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really don't want to get rid of her, it's not her fault, but I can't handle the mess and the smell!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachandNito
What sort of diet is she on? What are the portion sizes? How many meals does she get a day. Wet or dry? What brand? How much exercise does she get? If you provide that information, we may be able to help with her diet.

As far as her crankiness. How old is she? How long have you had her? Is she spayed? Is she long haired (If so, have the vet shave a "potty patch" to eliminate the stuck poop). Hopefully someone can come along and give some tips about getting a cranky kitty to warm up to you- I have no experience in such matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I don't blame you! I'd get irritated too if my cat has a poopy bum and wouldn't let me clean it!

Ok, for the diet. Since you already feed wet, you should stop allowing Jasmine to have ANY dry food at all. Nito eats about 5 oz of wet a day, give or take, and has dry snacks. This maintains his weight. If you cut her access to the dry food, it might really help. Dry food, especially grocery store brands like 9-lives are chock full of grains, which are carbs that cats have trouble processing, so they get turned right to fat. The 2/3 can of wet food (if it's a 5oz can) should be a good amount to help her lose weight, but you need to weigh her often to see if it's working (which might be impossible in your case!)

What kinds of toys have you tried? Have you ever tried Da-Bird- It's a feather toy that spins sort of like a fishing lure and makes a sound similar to birds flapping their wings and it can get even the most stubborn cats to play. You could also try laser pointers. Or be creative. My cat Lil'Fella needed to drop a few pounds, and he's a lazy boy whose definition of playing was laying on his back and swatting. So we'd take him to the backyard and drop him in the bunny pen, which he hates. He'd jump the fence and run all the way across our huge back yard to the house. Give him a couple laps of that, and he was all set for exercise for the day!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Premier Cat

I have found, with a cat reluctant to 'exercise' when you use interactive toys, is they get overwhelmed when other cats are playing, too. We will close the kitties into a bedroom and keep out the one we want to play with and when the cat realizes they are alone, with no competition to chase and play with the toy, they have a BLAST and really go-to-town running and playing. They really seem to enjoy themselves.
Maybe you could give that a try with your fatty-cat?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I will try this...thanks! We don't use feathered toys because we have a bird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I have found, with a cat reluctant to 'exercise' when you use interactive toys, is they get overwhelmed when other cats are playing, too. We will close the kitties into a bedroom and keep out the one we want to play with and when the cat realizes they are alone, with no competition to chase and play with the toy, they have a BLAST and really go-to-town running and playing. They really seem to enjoy themselves.
Maybe you could give that a try with your fatty-cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page