Outdoor tomcat pee war - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Outdoor tomcat pee war

I have two cats, Greg and Gladys, who live outside on a large screen porch. This arrangement has worked well for a year and a half, but now a new stray, intact tomcat, Oscar, has shown up and is causing trouble. He pees all over the place outside the porch, and Greg has started peeing inside in retaliation.

Oscar is basically friendly, letting us pet him and scratch his head, but goes ballistically violent if we try to pick him up. Therefore, none of the shelters will take him except for county animal control, who told me honestly that they would euthanize him. And I don't know any people who would want to adopt a cat like that.

My only recourse is to get him neutered ASAP, put him back out, and try to socialize him better so he can eventually be adopted. What are the odds of the peeing behavior stopping? I've read that only 10% of neutered toms continue territorial peeing, but I don't know if that applies to half-wild outdoor cats. Thanks for any advice/info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Outdoor tomcat pee war

I would certainly go for it. He is peeing to mark his territory, neutered toms dont normally have that urge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page