Why does the foster kitty not get along with our other cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Why does the foster kitty not get along with our other cats?

We have been fostering a black long hair female cat (her name is momma) (about 2.5 years old) for a few months now and she just can't get along with our other 4 cats (Sophia, Felix, Natasha (formerly Nancy) and our baby kitty (Victoria).
We have to keep them separate when we aren't in the house as momma attacks any of our other cats frequently. She is the sweetest cat if no other cats are in the room but she seems to hate any other cats and often violently attacks them.
Is there a way to make momma accept the other ones? We were thinking in adopting momma as she just can't find another home as she is initially too shy. My wife is volunteering for the Pet Smart adoption program where we got momma from (to foster her). However, in the long run, we don't want to have a situation where we really can't leave momma together with the other cats as they will have pretty bad scratches when momma attacks them. We are just looking for a way to make them get along better.. Is there a way or is it a lost cause? Momma is a really sweet cat with humans and dogs (she gets along great with our Schnauzer, just like our other cats) but she just doesn't like ANY other cats.. If she doesn't change, she would probably off best in a one cat household with someone that has a lot of time for her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Re: Why does the foster kitty not get along with our other cats?

Did you slowly introduce Momma to your other kitties, or did you just kind of throw her in the mix? To me, it sounds like she didn't have a chance to get used to your kitties. What you want to do is keep Momma separated from your kitties by putting her in the bathroom (or another room where she can retreat to) with some toys, food, and litter box. Rub a towel on all of your kitties and leave it in the room with Momma. Do the same with Momma, too. Rub a towel on her and leave it somewhere so your other kitties will become accustomed to her scent.

Some cats can adjust to new situations almost immediately where others will need to adjust at their own pace. There are others here who can help you better than I can. I've given you a starting point. I'm sure there are others who will chime in with their experiences.

Good luck!

----------
Renée
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kitties
Did you slowly introduce Momma to your other kitties, or did you just kind of throw her in the mix? To me, it sounds like she didn't have a chance to get used to your kitties. What you want to do is keep Momma separated from your kitties by putting her in the bathroom (or another room where she can retreat to) with some toys, food, and litter box. Rub a towel on all of your kitties and leave it in the room with Momma. Do the same with Momma, too. Rub a towel on her and leave it somewhere so your other kitties will become accustomed to her scent.

Some cats can adjust to new situations almost immediately where others will need to adjust at their own pace. There are others here who can help you better than I can. I've given you a starting point. I'm sure there are others who will chime in with their experiences.

Good luck!
We did introduce her slowly to the other kitties. For a while, we wouldn't leave them unattended when she was together with the other cats. At one point, we left them out, even unattended. Momma would usually stay in one place without having contact with the others, but if she was out of her usual place (usually a chair) and she would run into any of our other cats, she would often attack them or hiss at them.. Right now, Momma is in the Pool Bathroom and the utility room and the other cats are in the rest of the house.. At night, the other cats are in one bedroom and momma is in the rest of the house.. We will try the thing with the towels to see if it will work.. Our other cats have never been aggressive with momma.. Of course, they are curious and want to get close to momma but she would just hiss at them or attack them.. Natasha is TERRIFIED of momma as is Felix.. Sophie is not that afraid of momma but they still get into a fight occasionally.. Sophie is the largest of our cats.. Momma is the 2nd largest and Felix and Natasha are smaller. Of course, Victoria, the baby kitty is the smallest but she is growing up fast.. She is now over 4 months old already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Premier Cat

What has helped with my fosters who were agressive is to give them the holistic Spirit Essence Peacemaker. or the Bully Remedy Its on sale this month too!

bully Remedy
In multi-animal situations, it seems there is always one bully who wants to be the boss and tell everyone else what to do. Bully Remedy reminds the "big cheese" that things are fine without needing to patrol everyone else, and that it is not necessary to dominate in order to live harmoniously.

Peacemaker
To reduce or eliminate aggression or jealousy between animals. Peacemaker is our primary remedy (and long-time bestseller) for conflicts between animals. It helps soften the edges and reduce tension and territorial "attitude." Also ideal for the re-introduction process where animals have had to be separated due to discord.

http://www.spiritessence.com/?action...act=view&id=15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page