Luring Birds? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Luring Birds?

Phineas, my orange and white tabby was laying in front of the glass doors making this strange chirping noise... his tail was fidgeting back and forth in obvious excitement (perhaps impatience?). I walked closer to him, and normally he notices this, but he was far too enthralled in the chirping to look away. Outside were some birds... one in particular was chirping in time with the cat. The cat would chirp, then the bird, and then the bird would hop closer.

When I approached too closely, the birds flew away, and Phineas got up in a 'ready to bounce, but I change my mind' way.

Was he really luring the birds closer? I haven't had him for very long and he is 5 years old... perhaps he's learned this trick earlier in life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Luring Birds?

That is an interesting thought. I've noticed our cats will chatter a very quick ak-ak-ak-ak-ak sound when intently watching birds or squirrels. I never thought about the noise luring game closer to the cat, I had always thought it was just an impatient/excited vocalization, but it certainly does sound plausible that they are mimicing sounds to lure them closer!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Cat

We had a cat when I was growing up who use to chirrup at birds alot! Never thought it could be a way of luring the prey, but just did a google and found this:

http://www.apetsblog.com/pets-journal/c ... -birds.htm

Interesting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I have noticed that Phineas is very vocal in that he has a wide variety of sounds he uses. Not sure if this is exceptional for a cat or not... (I think I read somewhere they have 30 or so distinctive sounds they can make) but the variations in the sounds are very noticeable.

One of the 'meows' he makes is a rather quick 'double-meow' that sounds like he's trying to say "hello," and another sounds like he's saying "yeah" (this one is for whenever you're just talking to him). Also, if you try to meow back... he'll not only meow, but try to mimic your way of 'saying it,' (even when you're just being funny and trying to stump him) rather than the typical all-purpose meow I'm accustomed to cats giving.

I know with all these different variations, he's trying to say something...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 PM
nes

I'd really like to hear more about this because I've always wondered about it too - it seems to me like logic would dictate they be quiet around birds, least they scare them off - but if they are in fact luring them that would make alot of sense. But how bad are birds hearing that they don't know it's a cat? (Doesn't sound like chirping at all to me).

Along with the tail twitching - I always just thought they were so excited they couldn't contain themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page