My cat is playing too rough - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to sungeun11
My cat is playing too rough

Ever since we got out cat as a 2 month old kitten, he likes to bite. (Now he is 10 months) When we are not doing anything to him, he would bite like a snake and then run off like we are playing tag . Why does he like to play by biting us very hard and leaving marks on us? We understand he loves to play but we want to teach him not to attack us viciously. He does play with toys though. Is this a personality thing? He is a loving cat but the biting is way too rough.

Princeton our "SLKF" Special Lil Kitty Friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Premier Cat

Re: My cat is playing too rough

Your cat has been playing with you as his playmates. When they grow up with their siblings, they learn that biting and wrestling can hurt, and they learn to not bite each other so hard. What you can do when your kitty bites you is 'cry' when he hurts you: "Ouch!" "Hey!" and stop playing with him. Encourage him to play with his toys and not your hands.
Most of this is just a 'kitten' thing and if you are consistent, he should grow out of doing it.

...though I love playing hide/seek and chase with some of my kittes. I don't like getting bitten or clawed, so I don't encourage that behavior with me.
h

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Premier Cat

Agreed. This is absolutely normal kitty play. All kittens need to be taught boundaries and one of them is not to bite. It's their natural way to play. They don't realize we don't have fur to protect us!
A good "Ouch!" and then completely ignoring him for a few minutes is the best way, as Heidi said. Also, when he does bite, instead of pulling away, gently push your hand, arm, whatever towards his mouth. I know it isn't your natural reaction but it'll do a few things, 1) your are much less likely to get scratched. When you pull away is when you get hurt. Pushing towards the kitty makes them stop biting down. 2) It confuses the heck out of them and will usually stop them dead in their tracks. and 3) It's just not as fun for them. Real prey (or your hand) pulls away and that's part of the chase and the game and the fun!
If you are consistent with these things, he will learn to be more gentle pretty quickly.
Of course, tons of play with toys and appropriate things for him to chew and bite is fine, just not you!
Enjoy him!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Cat

WE still say NO BITE and show him the spray water bottle and he understands the bottle but he still goes at us. I am not sure but he doesn't listen...like kids...lol He keeps doing this and we either spray him or we tap him on the head No Bite! I guess he thinks he is king of the house...He bites at random sometimes love bite and others leave marks.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Cat

My husband and I heard about placing very lil of tabasco sauce on your finger (smaller than a pea size). Today, usually when my husband plays with him he bites and sometimes very hard. By using this new idea, Prince smelled it and then tried to bite but got a good lick and didn't bite after tha t. We will use this technique for awhile until he stops biting. It seems to be working now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page