litter box problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

litter box problems

I have two cats, a 5 year old, and a 7 year old. I recently moved the furniture in my bedroom because I could smell some type of cat mess and couldn't find it in the open. I was horrified to find my oldest cat had been going to the bathroom under my bed in the same spot for what appeared to be quite a while. I know that animals may 'mark their territory' or do this if they are upset (messy litter box, jealous, etc.), however this is not the first time I've had this problem with the older cat. I got her when she was a little over two years old, where she had been rescued from an abusive and neglectful home. She is afraid to leave me room or bed if there are people over, or if there are any noises or objects she doesn't recognize. Therefor, she will go where ever she is. I have been very helpful with having a 'special needs' cat, but I'm at a loss. I really don't know what to do to help her. She does use the litter box sometimes, but this is becoming more frequent and a bigger problem as days go by (nobody likes coming home to that mess!). Ive heard about spraying the cat with water when she does these things but with her constantly hiding I have never caught her in the act, and I'm afraid of disciplining her because of her past of abuse. I'm just wondering if this is something I should consider taking her into a Vet for or if it is common in older/traumatized cats. I really don't know what to do, she is my baby and the only options people have given me is euthanasia (mostly suggested because of her age and combination of other health problems ie. bad vision, small tumors, etc.) but that is definitely the last thing i want to do to her. I would like for her to live a long and happy life without having to clean up after her constantly. Any suggestions, tips, anything???

-Sad cat lover
;[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Re: litter box problems

Since this is escalating, you could very well be dealing with a urinary tract infection rather than a behavior issue. So the first step is to get her checked out at the vet. And clean the area she's been peeing on with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle (really soak the area so it sinks in as far as the urine did and be prepared to apply it several times, allowing it to dry completely between applications).

If she's clear medically, then I would make sure that I put her in a safe place of my choosing before company comes over. And give her a litter box in the room that she will be in. You're going to need to accommodate her quirks rather than get her to change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page