Few questions about two cats I recently adopted. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Few questions about two cats I recently adopted.

First off like to say as a new member this is a great forum.

A little over a month ago I adopted 2 cats. One being a fully clawed unneutured 3 week old male kitten (now almost 2 months old) named Zeke. Other cat being a 10 year old declawed neutured female cat named Luanne.

First question I have is how to get Luanne to better trust me and be around me? She doesn't really like to be petted, or held. Occasionally she will. She's deaf, has a half broken off crooked tail and is very skinny. Based on that i'm assuming she's been abused in her past. She was at the shelter for 7 months before I got her.

Other question I have is with Zeke and this really bothers me. He attacks Luanne all the time. I want to know if there's a way to make him stop? He does it when he's in a playful mood but Luanne doesn't like it at all and growls, slaps him around, bites. She gets so mad it wakes me up several times during the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Few questions about two cats I recently adopted.

Welcome to Cat Forum!

As long as Luanne is not hurting him and neither one seems fearful of the other, let her continue on....she's teaching him manners. And that's actually best learned from another cat than from a human. The only other thing I would suggest is giving her a place safe from him if he gets to be overbearing and it looks like she needs a break.

Also you can help by playing with Zeke with interactive toys (da Bird or a laser pointer are good ones) and wearing him out, when he's getting too rambunctious.

The only way to get get Luanne to trust you is to give her time and treat her well. Be patient with her, she has some things to overcome. Quiet time alone with you, without Zeke would be helpful. I do have to say that the combination of cats you choose is far from ideal, so you're going to continue to have challenges with the two of them, especially as Zeke ages and tried to become dominant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

Since Luanne is deaf, try not to approach her from behind. Since she can't hear you or Zeke, she gets startled and it puts her on the defensive. Zeke is just going to have to learn that Luanne can't hear him and he will eventually figure it out, but I think if you can supervise their playtime, Zeke may learn to approach her from the front faster.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies Doodlebug and My3Kitties.

Doodlebug - I know I chose a weird combination between the two. I was originally planning to get 2 kittens but decided that it is what most people would do, so I'm sure all the kittens find homes right away. Luanne was there for 7 months and I felt really bad for her and didn't think anyone would take her. Thank you for the advice will surely be using it.

My3Kitties - that is true. Whenever approached from behind she is startled. Will be taking your advice also.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page