My cat is pooping outside her box. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

My cat is pooping outside her box.

I have 2 cats, both 1 yrs old. I never had this problem but my female cat, who I just got fixed about 3 months ago, started to poo anywhere she wants in my house. I did move about 3 months ago. But this problem just started about 2 weeks ago. I clean my box daily, they have had the same cat little since they were small. Before I got her fixed she was peeing on my bed only! Then I fixed her and she stopped, but now the poo problem started. It is every morning I wake up to poo on my white carpet! She poo's in different places everynight. She doesn't look too chipper anymore. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: My cat is pooping outside her box.

Well, if she isn't looking healthy, you should probably visit the vet to rule out a health problem that is causing this. If she is given a clean bill of health you might try some of these solutions:

-First thing, of course, would be to visit the vet as I said. Especially if you notice that she doesn't "look too chipper". She could be trying to tell you something, maybe she is sick.

-You are supposed to have 1 litter box per cat +1. So with 2 cats, you should have 3 in various places throughout the house. Or perhaps have one right next to the other. Some cats like to have a box just for pee, and a box just for poop. And some cats don't like to share. Maybe your kitty doesn't like the smells her friend leaves

-Use a black-light to find the stains, and clean them with an enzyme remover. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you the best place to get the right kind of black-light, because I am not exactly sure about it. Actually, we have a good thread about solving litter box problems:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11535
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: My cat is pooping outside her box.

Yes, you need one or two more litter boxes even if they are next to each other. Some cats pee in one and poo in the other. Fragrance free litter is favorable. have you changed food, litter, noises? Do the cats have their own spaces they can each go to? Diarrhea, vomiting, change in amount of food kitty eats? Is the white carpeting an area rug you can pull up or is there an area rug you can put on top of the white rug. Some cats actually have issues or fetishes over certain texture rugs, even the color. If kitty seems a little lethargic, I'd go to the vet. He could just be trying to tell you he isn't feeling good and needs some medical attention.
kristy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page