Sorry, this is SUPER long, but I want people to know all the details before giving advice...please read through before suggesting anything, as I do have a lot of ideas already listed below
I'm not a first time cat owner either, by the way. I've owned countless cats throughout my life, but this is the first kitten that I've had this much of a problem with.
I got my youngest kitten when he was 7 weeks old, he will be 4 months at the beginning of March. For the record we also have a 9 month old neutered male cat (who is his older brother) and a dog (who all get along great). He's a fantastic kitten in every way...but where he pees. When we got him, because he was extra young, I don't think he had learned much from his mother in this regard, so I spent at least 2 weeks taking him to the litter box many times a day and keeping track of what he was doing. I figured after 2 weeks he pretty much had it down (he was going there on his own) so I stopped bringing him there and everything seemed peachy.
Shortly after we noticed he started peeing on the dogs bed. The dog is good friends with the cats, they all play, drink and eat together, snuggle, etc.. the dog thinks she's a big cat. He was only peeing on the dogs bed in the bedroom, so we threw it out (it was just a blanket) and that seemed to have stopped that. He has had a few other accidents (one time by the food dish, one time on the couch, one time in the laundry) but I chocked that up to house breaking, took him to the spot, let him sniff it, then brought him to his litter box and made him dig around. I always clean the areas thoroughly using vinagre afterwards to mask any residual scent. Perhaps investing in an enzymatic cleanser would be better?
The dog got a new bed for Christmas, and the first day we had it we caught him peeing on it (it seemed like an emergency pee, he would have still been under 8 weeks at the time). I stopped him mid pee and brought him to the litter box (where he finished his pee). Even though I corrected this the very first time, he has decided the dogs bed is a good place to pee. Then, the other day, we went to get into bed and he took a pee right in the middle of our bed
. We cleaned it, cleaned the duvet, sheets, etc.. and flipped the mattress, but now this means business! The cats don't have free range of the bedroom anyhow, but now they're outright banned (for the time being!).
Here is my game plan at this point, any additional suggestions are much appreciated!
1. I have cleaned the dog bed thoroughly, as well as the rug underneith it. If he pee's on it again I will...
2. Move the dog bed to the bedroom where they are not allowed. If he finds somewhere else to pee I will...
3. Add a 2nd litter box (he is very picky about his litter being clean, I clean it once a day but maybe that's not good enough for him). The only problem about this is that we live in a 2 bedroom apartment so I don't really have a good place to put a 2nd litter box that the dog can't get to (although she's never actually tried to raid a litter box). If he still isn't peeing in the litter box I will...
4. Try a different litter in the 2nd litter box. If we are still having problems I will...
5. Get the dogs old crate out and crate him when we're asleep or not at home.
It's not health related, for anyone who was going to suggest that, just bad habbits.
I know he is the one doing this, our other cat is a hardcore litter user (if there is not a litter box available he will hold and hold and hold) and has never gone anywhere but the litter box.
He ALWAYS poops in the litter box.
For the record, we never catch him in the act anymore. He only does this when we're not around or not looking.
He has peed in the litter box before, so he WILL pee where poops, but perhaps he doesn't like to?
How's that sound? Any other ideas? Thanks!!