Begging, stealing and fighting for food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Begging, stealing and fighting for food

Mateo's behavior is down right HORRIBLE where food is concerned. I have been dealing with this since I adopted him over 4 years ago! I really don't know what to do, but it is getting ridiculous! I got carry out from Outback the other night and I had to sit with a squirt bottle and a can full of pennies to keep him away from my food. I couldn't even enjoy my meal

He steals food from the other cats. He eats his own food so fast and then he was pushing them out of their dishes. I started locking him in a different room to stop that from happening. I let him out when Zack and Lamar are done eating. he will then sit outside the bathroom door where Zoee is eating and proceed to meow and sometimes beat at the door.

If I don't feed them when he believes it is time he will start a fight with whoever the closest cat is

As I mentioned he will make every attempt to steal my food and is sometimes succesful with it. I eat in the living room and he will creep up behind me and swipe food. I recently got a table tray type thing, so I have been putting my food on there when I eat. He creeps around the bottom of it and tries to reach my food or jumps on the table in front of it. I am considering locking him up when I eat because I seriously can not enjoy my food because I am constantly protecting it from Mateo.

He stole a potato skin a couple weeks ago and took off with it. I admit it was comical seeing the potato askin in his mouth, but still. He ran into the "cat room" and I walked up behind him to have him growling at me!

I can't imagine the embarrasment of having someone else eat at my house.

I'm at a loss on what to do. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Re: Begging, stealing and fighting for food

I forgot to add.....

I had to put a magnetic child lock on the cupboard where I keep the dog treats because Mateo got into them twice and then proceeded to throw up everywhere. I put a regular plastic child lock on and he figured out how to open it.

I also just ordered a garbage can with a infrared lid because he has learened how to open the push button lid on the garbage can and keeps getting into it
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Is it possible you're underfeeding him? How's his weight?

Callie was my food snitch...I came home one night with a McDonald's bag, rolled over at the top. While I was getting the cat food ready, she managed to get the bag open and steal a french fry! Anyway, A few things that helped with her:

~Make sure she had dinner before I sat down with mine.
~If my dinner was one of her favorites, she had to be put behind a closed door.
~If company was coming, she was automatically put away during dinner time.
~I would often build a barricade around my plate with iced tea jug, pickle jar, book I'm reading etc

If you've ever given in and given him something from your plate, you've reinforced the behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

I have NEVER given him anything from my plate. he has had sucess in stealing things on occasion, but I have never given him anything.

He has been this way since day one of being home from the shleter. His behavior has actually gotten ever so slightly better since he was adopted.

He gets 6 oz of food a day and his weight is fine. Years ago he was sneaking up to a dry food feeding area I had for one of the cats and he put on some weight and he was still acting this way.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Premier Cat

All my foster cats act like that. Mine dont and I dont know why. Everyone is well fed so there is not reason they cant leave me alone when I eat. Some of my fosters never loose the agreesive eating habits. Or growling if someone gets near their food. Its annoying. Ive taken to putting them in another room when I have people over to eat! They are terrible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Premier Cat

I think many rescue cats who exhibit this aggressive manner around food probably experienced a period of feast-or-famine during their life and it left a lasting impression on them.

Our Trio of cats (Mister, Toby and Mousie) were the worst for begging and Mousie was an unrepentant swipe-off-your-plate cat. If it was chicken for dinner...we were best off putting them behind a closed door so we could eat in peace. We also eat in the living room watching TV or movies and we've learned to 'barricade' our food, or at least keep an arm curled around it so you can feel when a paw is 'sneaking up'. If guests come over, all cats are put in the Master bedroom until the meal is done or the guests leave.

When we first took Reilly in, he was terrible about crinkling bags, like from chips or cereal, and he would be RIGHT THERE looking for food. Floofy is still very bad about biting through plastic bags to get at bread products. We make adjustments to thwart these behaviors and our household runs smoothly.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I'm with Heidi on this one. Nito and his sibs were found all skinny and sickly under someone's deck. They definitely had a period of famine in their lives. Nito still growls when he eats, sometimes even if he's alone, and a lot more vigorously if there are other cats around his dish. My parent's cats have never seen another cat do this, and it exasperates them! They are so polite though, and give him his space, sitting patiently as he eats.

Nito begs a lot to. He'll usually just keep trying to lure me towards the food dishes, meowing and acting all cute. He sits there all expectantly, and if it's not time for dinner I just ignore him. Sometimes he gets really frustrated and starts kicking his food dishes all over. Really annoying when he spills the water dish too, and he manages to fling water all over.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 AM

I find using an automatic feeder has kept the begging
and fighting over food between my 2 cats at a minimum.
I have my feeder dispense about a half ounce of kibble
every 3 hours, 8 times per day/nite, so my cats never
feel anxious about food, nor do they over eat and barf.
http://www.super-feed.com/small.html
Others make feeders for wet food as well,
if you don't mind the constant stink.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Strange....You would think they would learn at a certain point that they will always be getting fed. Then again if the famine was severe it must have made a huge impression!

I guess he will be locked away if I ever have anyone over here eating!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page