Question about introducing my my older cat to my females - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Question about introducing my my older cat to my females

Yesterday I had to go get my 8 year old neutered cat Twister. He once lived with me and my dad but since I moved I couldn't care for his medical expenses (he is prone to UTI and is allergic to fleas), so he lives with my mother. Problem is she recently had a wreck and although she is fine, is staying with her best friend at the hospital so I had to bring Twister to my house....with my girls Cricket and Amora.

Twister once lived with Amora when she was a kitten, but she doesn't remember him at all and behaved rather aggressively (hissing, growling, tail flicking), when she met him again. Cricket (who is in heat atm, I bring this up cause I don't know how this will affect their interaction), is more sweet natured, exhibiting more fear of him than anything (he is rather massive and a good 10 lbs heavier). She I allowed him to meet and they just hiss and Cricket hides, comes back out interested, hisses hides.
I just don't know a good way to introduce them to each other. I'm afraid Amora and him will get into a fight and Twister doesn't have front claws, while both my girls do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Question about introducing my my older cat to my females

The most important thing is that I am glad that your Mom is ok!

As for introducing a new cat into the house it can be a challenge! There are several great articles in this library on how to do it successfully http://littlebigcat.com/?action=library

Good luck, I am going through the same thing at the moment, and it can be frustrating!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Hi teighlor,

Cricket's heat is really unfortunately and will make things more difficult for you. Do you plan to breed with her- if no you should get her spayed as unspayed cats are susceptible to a uterine infection called pyometra, which can be life threatening. Since Twister has already moved in this bit of advice is probably a bit late. Personally I wouldn't introduce a cat in heat to another cat untill her heat is over.

Why don't you get Twister settled into a room of his own for 2-3 days and then slowly start introducing the cats to each other. Start with exchanging used cat beds so they can explore their sents. Then introduce Twister to the girls indevidually, trying not to interfere unless there is hissing or growling- in this case you should try to distract both cats with toys and seperate them untill the next day.

Sometimes its a great idea if you can temporally replace a internal door with a fly screen door to allow the cats to see each other without mixing just yet.

I would also advise you to buy a feliway diffuser:

http://discountfeliway.com/aboutfeliway.html

Good luck and my best wishes for your moms recovery,

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I do plan on getting both my girls fixed, cause I don't want kittens (well I say this, I LOVE kittens I just couldn't afford them), I do believe Cricket's heat has passed though, she was in the later stages of it when Twister arrived.

I introduced Cricket to Twister because she is the more laid back one, but although there was interest, there was a lot of hissing too so I seperated them.

I put Twister in their little room yesterday also, and brought those two into my room where he'd been staying. The girls explored, sniffed, and even played, but Twister was so terrified about being in their area he just hid and hissed at me until I switched them again later that day. Then he was right as rain and as lovable as ever.

Also when they were together Cricket and him, I played with them, then fed em some treats when I switched rooms, of course Twister wouldn't go for it, but the girls seemed all too happy to nom down a little wet food. I don't have anyway for them to see each other without being in contact though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page