Cats get messier every day - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Cats get messier every day

It's getting to the point now where we can't sit down anywhere or do anything without encountering urine-soaked litter. Both of our cats get in the box, PLAY in the litter for about 5 minutes, kicking it all over the bathroom and adjacent hallway, then track it all about the house. I scoop it every day, and it seems like they eliminate enough for 3-4 cats. My wife vacuums every day now, and the uriney clumps have ruined our nice, expensive sofa. We're about at our wit's end.
We've tried feline pine, crystal litter, clumping litter, corn fiber litter, and newspaper litter, all with unpleasant results. No matter what we do, it gets tracked about the house in some form or another.
We even tried potty training them, to no avail.
We're tired of living in filth. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Cats get messier every day

I would try a deeper box so they can't kick it out. I'm a fan of using storage totes for litter boxes, you can get ones that are 12 inches high if you don't want to leave the lid on or about 18 inches if you want to leave the lid on and cute a hole in it for them to get in and out. Do you have a mat in front of the box to catch litter when they come out?

You can buy a box like I'm talking about, but I'd just make one myself, way cheaper. Here's a link to one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2754439

This is the mat I have, it really catches litter well. Looks like strands of spaghetti and has little pockets that hold the litter. There's 2 styles.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2755050

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2755053

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

THANK YOU! My wife was trying to find one of those top-loaders to show me, and as for those mats, if the forum mod suggests them, they HAVE to work! We're definitely going to make a few purchases here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ah....you give me too much credit. I don't know if I can live up to the reputation you've bestowed on me.

I will say that the mats work better with heavier litter than light stuff. They did a better job for me with clay based litters than the corn based (Nature's Miracle or Fresh Results) I'm using now. One other thing to note, watch how your cat comes out of the litter box. I used to have the boxes underneath a window and there was constantly litter all over the sill. I thought that it was getting up there due to vigorous digging. Turned out that Holly was exiting the box by jumping straight up onto the window sill. Then jumping off the sill, over the box and completely missing the mat. They don't always take the most obvious route. I moved the boxes and expanded the mat area.

One advantage of buying the pre-made box I gave you the link to is that the lid is designed to help catch the litter off their feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Thing is, they walk about the house lightly and don't really do anything with their feet until they jump onto the sofa, which they use to catapult themselves to the windowsill. That's where the litter comes out of their paws.
We realized that if we went back to a larger clumper, like clay, we wouldn't have so much of a betwixt the toes problem as we would have, and we're definitely getting that toploader as soon as our petsmart restocks. I'll tell you if it works.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Good mats are designed to get the litter off their paws, so if you don't have a mat now then the litter is staying in their paws because there's nothing helping to get it out when they exit the box. Of course they have to step on it....

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Good mats are designed to get the litter off their paws, so if you don't have a mat now then the litter is staying in their paws because there's nothing helping to get it out when they exit the box. Of course they have to step on it....
Yes, the proper mat is key... If the cat doesn't step on a variegated surface that causes his toes to spread, the litter will stay trapped in their toes/fur until they do bust-a-move that spreads their toes and releases the litter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page