Should i help her to come upstairs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Should i help her to come upstairs

I found two kittens on the road a couple of month ago and adopted them.They are about 6 month old,females named Yum-Yum and Mi-Mi.
They live in my basement.it is a very nice basement,all finished ,with linoleum floors and high ceilings and for a basement it has a lot of windows.
My 16 year old son has his room down there.
Until a a few weeks ago the kittens never even attempted to conquer the upstairs(no door)When brought upstairs for lap and petting time,they dashed back downstairs when finished.
We have 3 dogs living upstairs,all of them have lived with cats before and got along fine.This is a new house and new cats.Downstairs, dogs and cats get along just fine ,but my canines won't let my felines into the upstairs world.Lately Yum-Yum(The more friendly kitty)is trying to come up by herself,only to be chased back down again by a pack of wolves.
Don't worry ,the wolves are wolves in sheepskin.All they do is run to the stairs and cats are gone
Now i know why all of this happens, territorial behavior. i could easily nip this in the butt.I am the Boss,most of the time .
My dogs have been with me a long time and we had many other pets and i got them where they all got along.I'm just not sure if I want the kittens upstairs.
We got all new furniture,expensive leather couch and chairs and my bed is already so full of fur (three dogs sleeping on it)that i don't need another blanket on cold nights.
So i asked you,should i help the Felines to conquer "The World Upstairs"Or do i enable the Canines to remain sol owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Should i help her to come upstairs

Well, it certainly sounds like a personal choice. Sounds like they're happy down there and they have the company of your son when he's in his room and someone to sleep with if they want, windows to look out of etc. So if you looking for us to say it's OK not to help them "conquer the world upstairs" then I would say, don't feel guilty, they seem to be doing great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Hi,

how much time does your son spend downstairs with the kitties?

Quite frankly I can't quite understand why you regard your dogs and cats in such a different manner? For me a pet is a pet and I would allow both cats and dogs to roam freely within the whole house.

You allready seem to have fuzz in your bed - what difference would it make if some cat fuzz found its way there in addition to the dogs hair?

The leather sofa would present a problem as leather is usually quite prone to scratch marks, even if the kitty is well behaved and doesn't actually scratch the furniture.

Cjristine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

"My dogs have been with me a long time and we had many other pets and i got them where they all got along"

I don't regard them in a different way.Pets are all the same to me.
Rereading my post i noticed i forgot to mention my two budgies living upstairs .They are also my pets and they have a right to be and feel save.

My son is home a lot and the kittens are with him all the time.Not to forget his friends .
And we do bring them upstairs every day as i mentioned in my first post. So they are not pure little souls in a dungeon.
When we first found the kittens,they were new.I did not find it wise to just put them down and say here you go.
So i put them in a secure room .And the best place seemed to be a warm room in the basement with a door.After we had them checked by the vet and they got their clean bill of health ,i slowly introduced them to each dog, and the door to the secure room was opened.And the rest of the story is in my first post.

I'm sorry to go on like this but somehow " i make a difference between my pets" offends me a little and i feel like i have to defend myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page