15 y/o male indoor cat just started urinating on furniture - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

15 y/o male indoor cat just started urinating on furniture

I have 3 indoor-only male cats ages 15, 13 and 4. I have 2 litter boxes for them, both of which I clean daily. The youngest cat came to live with us 2 years ago. The oldest HATES the youngest and has been growling, hissing and barely tolerating the youngest for the past 2 years. The youngest just wants to play but the oldest has no patience. All 3 cats see the vet yearly (and in between if necessary) for checkups and dental. About a month ago the oldest urinated on the headrest of my loveseat. I cleaned it, he urinated a second and third time. I put it on the street for the garbage pickup. A few days ago he urinated on the headrest of my sofa - the only remaining piece of furniture in the living room. I cleaned it, he urinated on it a second time. I put it on the street for the gargabe pickup. I now have a nice television in the living room, and nothing to sit on to watch it. Anyway, I am very hesitant to buy new furniture; the set he urinated on was old and ready to be replaced - I just wasn't ready to replace it. I fear he is feeling intimidated or aggravated by the youngest cat - or perhaps he is suffering from dimensia given his age (however, if he is confused, why has he NEVER pooped outsided the littler box?). I don't know what to do. At his last vet visit I was told that he has "elevated kidney enzymes" but that he is not yet in kidney disease. They gave me special food which all 3 cats eat. His appetite has not changed and he drinks frequently. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old - none of his behavior has changed except that he has started urinating on the furniture. He has always been the type of cat who likes NO ONE but me, although he has always gotten along fine with the 13 y/o cat. Getting rid of any of the 3 cats is not an option. What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 15 y/o male indoor cat just started urinating on furniture

I believe this is a medical issue. The elevated kidney enzymes, the frequent drinking, and the peeing outside the box are signs of kidney failure. While he may have been borderline on his previous visit, he may have tipped over the edge since then. I think a trip back to the vet is needed.

I know it's too late now, but cleaning cat urine can be done without leaving any residual smell. You need to use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, Simple Solution, Odo Ban or Urine Off. Just make sure to soak the area well and let it dry. A second application may be needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you - I'm taking him in tomorrow morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck.

BTW, this could be a basic Urinary Tract Infection too, which can be brought on by stress (which the relationship with the younger guy could be causing). But, unfortunately, based on the history I'm more concerned about CRF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I should mention, he's had two recent episodes (last six months) where I had to take him to the vet and they guessed at a UTI; as I mentioned in my first post, he doesn't like anyone but me and REALLY hates the vet. They always have trouble examining him and also have trouble getting a blood sample. They were not able to get blood at either of these visits. Well, actually they didn't try the first time, they just assumed it was a UTI. But the second time they wanted to get blood and he was so stressed by the visit that they told me they wouldn't stress him out further. They suggested that I wait and see if the antibiotics worked and if not, come back. In less than a day he was back to normal so I didn't take him back. During his recent episodes of peeing on the furniture he hasn't exhibited the same type of behavior that he did with either of the UTI episodes. With those he was visibly uncomfortable, making repeated trips to the litter box and even dribbled a bit of pee - just a tiny bit - while sitting in my lap. He couldn't or wouldn't lay still and was constantly getting up and down. He even peed in the foyer floor the first time. With the furniture episodes - he simply jumped up on the back of the loveseat and peed. Then he got down and went about his normal morning routine. The same with the sofa - he jumped up there, peed, and then went on as normal.

I know that CRF is common in male cats, he's 15+, he's been losing weight over the past 1.5 years, and I understand that this is likely a big problem and not a little one. I am hoping for a simple UTI though. I don't know how I'm going to face it if his kidneys are failing. I simply cannot imagine him not being around. As I said, I've had him since he was 8 weeks old - he turned 15 in October 2008. He is my baby.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

I know it's hard not to worry, but don't get ahead of yourself. It may just be a UTI. On the other hand if it is CRF, I've known of many cats that have lived several years with proper diet and sub-q fluids. I have a friend who has a cat with CRF and diabetes, one of the worst combinations because the required diets are at odds with each other. The vet keeps telling her to enjoy her while she can because she probably won't make it till summer, or fall or Christmas or spring or summer again...for like 2-3 years now. The latest development...her diabetes is in remission and she's off her insulin (which she's been on for 7 years).

Anyway, I understand that the Yahoo CRF Group is a wonderful place to learn and get advice from. You might want to join even if this is a UTI, you may get some good advice on how to keep him from going over the edge into full blown CRF.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-crf-info/

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much, I joined the group you mentioned. He has been acting completely normal - except for peeing on the furniture - so maybe it is just a UTI. I hope anyway. I'm trying to get a vet appointment. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page