Younger cat is acting strange towards his mother - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Younger cat is acting strange towards his mother

I have a female cat who is 2 years old. A year ago she had kittens and we kept 1. Up until 2 months ago they've been fine, but the mother cat was missing for nearly 2 months and we only just got her back today after a very kind woman saw her ad.

Anyway, the younger cat keeps trying to mount her now and she doesn't like it. He's being really rough aswell since he's biting her neck. We've had to put him outside since it's like he doesn't know it's her mom anymore. Keeping them in seperate rooms didn't help because he stalks the door.

I'm not sure what to do and I think my local vets is closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Younger cat is acting strange towards his mother

Welcome and I'm sorry you are having trouble with your cats.
First, is the boy kitten neutered? If so, this could be the cause of his mating-behaviors. Even if he is neutered, he could still exhibit mating behaviors.
Second, is the female cat spayed? This could also play a part in the behaviors.
Finally, the mother cat was gone long enough that the two cats (mother/son) do NOT recognize each other as family. Both have probably forgotten the familiar smells of each other and they are like "strangers" now. You can do a search for "cat introductions" and see what kind of good information would be useful for you.
Welcome to the site,
Heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

The mother has been spayed but never neutered the younger cat. Will be doing first thing tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
Thanks for the reply

The mother has been spayed but never neutered the younger cat. Will be doing first thing tomorrow.
Hi,

wise choice- he's full of hormones and neutering him will help tremendously as well as beeing a lot safer for your tom cat (sexually transmitted diseases, straying longer and further with a higher risk of beeing run over). Also it will help prevent an overpopulation.

After neutering it could take up to 6 weeks untill his hormones have calmed down so you'll have to be patient.

Personally I think your cats should recognize each other after a mere 2 months of seperation. Maybe she still smells wrong due to living in a strange household?

also- it is perfectly normal in natrue that mothers chase away the boys from their litters once they've become sexually active- this helps to prevent inbreeding. You seem to be experiencing the opposite- your boy is trying to dominate his mother by mounting her although she can't be in heat. He now seems to sees your home as his territory, not hers.

Neuter him and give it some time. With a bit of luck they'll get on fine in a few weeks time.

Good luck!

christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page