Fighting, playing rough, or just being cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Fighting, playing rough, or just being cats?

Five months ago I adopted a cat Toby, who is now about 7-8 months old. He lived with in foster home since he was about a month with one older cat (not his mom, or siblings)
He is an active cat, he runs around the home, purrs, and meows way too much (sometimes he runs to the basement and meows until I come down and get his attention.)

Last week I adopted another cat Ozzie(9-10months old) as a buddy for Toby. Two of them are opposite cats. Toby is active and always on the hunt, and Ozzie just sits there and observes Toby. Both of the them like to play, except Toby is more aggressive. When they play Toby likes to use his claws and always bites( it seems he always goes for the neck). After a minute or so after that Ozzie runs away because I think Toby gets to rough.
When they are not playing, they like to be near each other. Ozzie likes to lick Toby.

I just wanted to know if there is a way to stop Toby from using his claws and biting, and basically becoming to aggressive. Could there be jealousy issues with Toby, due to me spending more time with Ozzie trying to get him more comfortable with me and the new place. Any suggestions would help.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Fighting, playing rough, or just being cats?

Welcome to CatForum, and it sounds like your kitties are getting along very well. Ozzie appears to be non-confrontational when dealing with Toby. Usually, when a cat bites/claws too much, the other cat will retaliate with the same behavior...in this manner, letting the other cat know/learn that when they bite/claw it hurts. Oz just leaves, and that is sending a mesage to Toby, too. It will take longer for Toby to understand that bite/claws means Ozzie will stop playing and leave, but he will eventually learn. ...and maybe Ozzie, when he has finally had enough, he may give Toby a swipe or a bite and that should be a real eye-opener and learning experience for Toby.
heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page